OPINION: Why We Won't See a $100 Price Cut Anytime Soon

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Complexis, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Despite rumors floating around how Apple will be slashing prices of the current iPhone and iPod Touch by $100 and dropping the 8GB models of the touch and the iPhone to make way for the iPhone, it is most likely not true. For one thing, Apple has slowed down purchasing a much lower amount of NAND Flash memory than original forecasts slowing growth, probably because it anticipates with the higher pricing, there will be less people buying things like the 16GB iPhone and iPod Touch, however, they make an increased profit despite producing less offset by the high cost of the products themselves. As some articles have published, the 3G iPhone will *probably* be released Q4 2008, which is most definitely not by the end of this month or even within the next few months.

It wouldn't be wise for Apple to release the SDK and offer a $100 price cut on their existing products. The announcement of the SDK alone is sure to increase sales and may be the key to tip the balance of those who were still on the edge whether or not to buy an iPod Touch (32GB) or not. If the SDK turns out to be as good as it is, we can potentially see many months of profit for Apple, and when the sales start to slow down due to everyone getting used to the idea of the SDK (around Q4 2008), they bust out the new 3G iPhone along with the price cuts, probably at the next MacWorld.

What do you think? What's your take?
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

I agree with you although I am waiting till the SDK is released until I ask my parents (yet again) if I can buy one of these things.
  3. brandon311

brandon311 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    spoonforknife-- did you ever have one? I honestly begged my parents for one. They told me I wasn't giong to get one and not to get my hopes up. And they surprised me on Christmas

Sorry a little off topic up there. But no I don't think there will be a price drop. Just with the SDK coming out everyone will think it's awesome and everything [since they dont know about jailbreaking] and people will buy ipods/iphones just because of this. And besides if they were lowering the price they would have lowered it when the 32GB touches and 16GB phones came out.
  4. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    nothing really for me to say about this, I didn't know there was even much speculation for a pricedrop. But now knowing that there was one, I totally agree with the first post. It would be foolish for a pricedrop, given the conditions.
  5. 16gbofmagic.

16gbofmagic. New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was more hoping for a price drop then expecting one. Your logic makes perfect sense, and the Apple marketing team certainly understands how to do things, so they've probably thought of this plan or a more elaborate one.
  6. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

@brandon. I never got mine. I begged. I created PowerPoints. I offered to give up 1/2 of my allowance for 1.5 years. I offered to sell my current iPod and Game Boy and give them profits. I offered to pay half. I offered to make it the only present.

[Sigh]
  7. twindragons

twindragons Banned

Please Register or Log in to view images

little boy...get a job and buy ur own things.

8. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    lol. I think my opinion was expressed so much like an article that OPINION needed to be amended to the topic title. I am honored. XD
  9. Avatarv

I completely agree with you, man. I wanna add sumthing else. I dont think apple will try price cuts less than a month after it introduces higher memory ipod - look wat happened after they did that to the iphone.
  10. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

that is an unnecessary personal insult on another forum member

please don't post such non sense on these forums