OPINION - The SDK: Thoughts Before Release but Still Post Hype

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Virtualball, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

(Before I start, let me just say that SDK stands for "Software Development Kit." It is a set of tools for a computer that allows one to make programs, and in this case, for the iPhone/iPot. Just for those who don't know...)

Well, since I'm an egotistical bastard, I would like to share my views on the SDK lol. On the eve of the announcement, we know very few details about it. We know that there is a special event tomorrow (March 6th), we know that it's currently a week late, we know that the apps will most likely be digitally signed, and that they will work for the iPod Touch. That's it. We know nothing more. For all we know, Steve Jobs could announce that Apple rewrote the entire OS in AppleScript and that's the SDK. While there's a one in one quadrillion chance that's true, that's an example of what we know.

After knowing this, many people have made guesses. It's been widely guessed that anyone could have the SDK. It's also been believed that only developers could have it. Apple has made no comment on whether wither of these beliefs are true. It's pretty much a given that iTunes will be the means of distribution, look at the iPod games (Sonic the Hedgehog, Peggle, Mimi Golf, et. all) for an example. What remains to be seen though, is how it will be used to distribute them. This means, no one knows how one could submit an app, how one could purchase them, or how much one would have to pay for them. Though, one could be fairly certain that they will make you pay.

Here's how I see it, and as we all know, I'm always right.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The SDK is a double edged sword. People want things, but as visible by the January app pack, they only want it because they're "entitled" to it. Apple will most likely charge for the applications. If Apple will host and distribute the applications, they should get a kickback. If they are going to provide a way to make applications in a safe way and allow developers to utilize it, they should get a kickback. I believe that people will be angry because Apple will be asking for money for the applications. People will complain because they paid money for their iPod Touch's and iPhones and believe that they should be given the applications. Also, I do not think that Apple will give the SDK to third party developers. If Apple were to release the SDK world wide, there would be a huge conflict with malicious software. Even if they're digitally signed, that could only help you find out who did it, not how to stop it. Also, there would be the problem of submitting it to iTunes for purchase. I just think it would be too much for Apple, who was adamantly against an SDK because of security reasons. This will most likely lead to backlash because of the jailbreak'ing scene. People will be angry by the fact that Apple is being too selective with their SDK and is charging for their services.

On the other hand, if Apple released the SDK to everyone and allowed apps to be widely circulated for free, more educated users will be outraged and... well... everyone here would be happy. I'm not calling you guys idiots, but people here would much rather sacrifice safety for a couple of dollars.

Everyone here would be shouting how happy they are that they could get apps for free legally. Everyone at Ars Technia and CNet will explain how this is a HORRIBLE business plan. If this were to happen, the SDK would be watered down so no unlock program will be created. Also, malicious code could be created and widely spread. If applications were to be free, real developers will be less inclined to A) work hard or B) work at all. Why would EA make games for the iPod if they won't get paid? It will lead to a lack of good applications and games for the iPod.

As visible, I believe Apple needs to come up with a good plan for the SDK because it's currently a double edged sword for them. Either way, there will be people who are angry at them. I hope March 6th brings more answers and brings a secure solution to the table.

These are my views and hopefully people don't flame me for them

Also, I had a snow day at school, so I was bored and wrote this hehe
    1 person likes this.
  2. brandon311

brandon311 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I had a snow day too! But yeah everything you said I practically agree with. I can't wait for tomorrow and hope I have another Snow Day to see what the road map has to bring.
  3. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

Good ideas, but I guess we'll see everything tomorrow!

You had a snow day? Where do you live?
  4. steeped

steeped New Member

Every school in Toronto had a snow day, but course my school stayed open.... I skipped anyways.

So about the book I just read, you are stating loads of possibility's and "ifs", but I would expect Apple is smarter than you think and will make all the users and developers happy, as well as make Apple a little profit. How? I don't know, but I know Apple is smart and they have come a long way against Microsoft to f*** up on something so stupid.
  5. Shade

Shade New Member

Well wouldnt people need to sumbit their app to the folks at apple who would then make sure it isnt malicious?
  6. hockeycraze12000

Yah, I live in Toronto too.

Vball, where do you live?
  7. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

OH-IO

I edited the post so the "no flaming" message is in bold XD Easier to see lol.
  8. hockeycraze12000

Yah, that's why. You guys had the big storm a bit earlier than us.

God, I was outside for like an hour shovelling snow.
  9. steeped

steeped New Member

snow blower 4 the win!
  10. hockeycraze12000

Hah, my parents want to instill "work ethics" in me, while they sit their lazy asses down watching T.V.