Only partial filesystem access with symlink to root in the AppStore MobileStudio

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Darlyn, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    [Solved] Only partial filesystem access with symlink to root in AppStore MobileStudio

As we all know there currently isn't a single decent toolchain text editor that includes a GUI, as MobileTextEdit did in the days before the 2.0.0 firmware. MobileFinder (or MobileStudio, as it's officially called) is our only real text editor, but this has the downside of being unable to access the entire filesystem.

I am well aware of the clever trick where one creates a symlink to root in the MobileStudio folder. After doing this I set the permissions for the MobileStudio app folder to 777.

I've been able to browse around mostly fine after this. Let me emphasize: mostly. Certain directories remain inaccessible and are iconless, as well as being marked red. Examples include
    Code:
    /tmp
    /var/logs
    /var/tmp
    and every UUID folder in ~Applications.

Are these restrictions exclusive to me, or has anyone found a way to bypasss them?
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

If you search the forums for "Enable Full Access for MobileFinder", that old thread started by ElTres tells you how to enable full access - which involves moving MobileStudio out of the /var/mobile folder, which prevents apps run from that folder from touching files outside of that folder.
  3. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thank you for the reply. I have been happily using iFile since its initial release. For all intents and purposes, I have even contributed to its development. This thread should have been updated a while back. For now, I'll just tag it as resolved.