One library, multiple computers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PaseMkr, Jun 11, 2010.

1. PaseMkr

PaseMkr New Member

Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I was hoping that if I explain what I would like to accomplish, that someone could provide me with help on either how to do it or a better solution.

My wife and I each have an iPod Touch. She uses a MacBook Pro and I have a Desktop PC and a Laptop PC, both running Windows 7. We currently have a library of music on an external storage drive containing about 3000 songs. This external drive has been hooked up to my Desktop PC which we would both use for iTunes, syncing our iPods and adding music to the library, as well as to our devices.

I would like to be able to keep our library on the external drive as one central library allowing us bother to access it, add to it and sync our iPods to via our own computers (her MacBook and My PCs). What would be the best way to do this or is their a better idea all together that I am not thinking of? The main goal here is that we have one library so we don't need to keep track of making certain that mutually liked music added to one library also then get's added to the other, etc. Also, We each want access from our own computers.

I have a Linksys Wireless Router with a USB hub and so far I have tried attaching the external drive to that using it as a NAS device. I then mapped it via each computer so that it had a drive letter and set that up on each computer as the library location. I then added the NAS Shared folder location to the library. All 3000 songs then were accessible on the MacBook's iTunes (so it appears to work on the MacBook), but when doing the same on the Windows 7 computers only about 800 of the 3000 songs populate to iTunes. I get no errors. It just acts as if it completes properly. Figuring this out has taken up so much time and created so much frustration, I figured that I would ask for help at this point, because there has to be a better easier way to do this. Thanks for your help and sorry for the long winded posting.

Steve
  2. bobbu

bobbu New Member

3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Why can't you just copy the songs onto your computer?
  4. PaseMkr

PaseMkr New Member

Because it would be impossible for me to always know what songs my wife added to the library on her computer and vice versa. By keeping one library, we can both add to it and draw from it without adding duplicate songs.