omg! legal way to get an iphone for only $99!?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mateo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, this isnt spam, its a very simple idea. Apparently, you can get an iphone from at&t at the discounted contract price (I think its $99 for an iphone 3g), then cancel your contract after activation which apparently either costs $175 or is free of charge if it is immediate. This would mean you would get the iPhone for super cheap! Either $99 or $274 depending on whether you have to pay the cancelation fee. Is all this true? Would this really work? Does anyone know what the cancelation fee would be or if there is none if you cancel immediately?

If the above is in fact true then I will be selling my 8gb first gen ipod touch and getting my super cheap iphone! and theres nothing wrong with this, its completely legal! also you can probably even skip the activation process and just unlock it yourself if that matters...
  2. helehole

helehole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I won my 3gs without contract xD
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Read.

If I understood correctly, there will be a $175 early termination fee, this fee will be reduced $5 for every full month that you used the phone. If the phone is returned in 3 days, the activation fee is refunded. If the phone is returned in 30 days, you won't have to pay the early termination fee.
  4. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Correct ! Dont you think AT&T would figure this out ? ..
  5. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, yea I figured that they would at least make you pay the early termination fee, but still! that means you get an iphone 3g for only 99 + 175= 274! thats a great price for a brand new iphone, and the retail is what? $400 or something?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    how'd you do that?
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Let's see..

Before 3 days: Don't gain anything, don't lose anything.
    Before 30 days: Don't gain anything, pay activation fee.
    After 30 days: Pay activation fee, early termination fee (minus $5 for every month that you stayed on the contract), the monthly contract fee. Thing is, I don't know if they let you keep the phone or not.
  7. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

just wait for those 35% cashbacks to get it for $(99+175-35)=$239
  8. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah dude. No way AT&T will forget about those $175 you owe them. Plus activation fees. And taxes. And the cost of the first month's plan.

AT&T really isn't that dumb.
  9. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You won't just be paying $99 plus the termination fee. There's also the $36 activation fee and the required first month's payment.
  10. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    SO WHAT?

it is still a great deal

say you want to buy an iphone 3gs 32gb

300$ for the iphone+ 36$ activation fee+ 30$ mandatory data plan+ 175$ termination fee= 541$

when a contract free 32gb iphone 3gs retails at 700 to 800 dollars

you will end up saving 159 to 259 dollars!

not to mention that if you continued with the at$t 1/2 year contract you would end up paying A LOT MORE

Dont forget that since you canceled your contract, when the next gen of iphone arrives you can always sell your iphone

and buy the brand new generation for the advertised 300$ price
    you would be an eligible user, and wont have to deal with any of that "your contract isnt over yet" BS
    refer here: http://gizmodo.com/5283568/real-cost-of-iphone-3gs-about-218-more-than-you-think