Older "Top of the line" Computer god for gaming? and a Matrox parahelia 256mb?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Insanelygreat01, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Insanelygreat01

Insanelygreat01 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    well my grandpop just recently handed down his old computer. He built it a little while ago but he got the TOP OF THE LINE parts. here are the specs:

3.2 GHz Pentium D (its Dual Core)
    2Gigs of RAM
    (Just adding this in here)
    3, 73 GB SCUSII Seagate Harddrives
    and of course a Matrox Parahelia 256Mb (Dual DVI) Gpu.

Its all been stuffed into an ATX full tower so its a big ass box. it has like 6 or 7 fans.

So heres what I am asking. Do you think this will be sufficient to play some newer games? (Such as Grid, GTA 4, Assassins Creed, Devil may cry 4, COD 4 etc.) Im not talking full graphics settings but will it play with good fps and not look like sh*t? also do i have to worry about over heating or anything? i wont over clock (unless i can without having to worry about heat).

Sorry if this is a noobish question or is asked alot. I know alot about computers and computer hardware. I was never really into the "gaming" aspect until now.

P.S. do most games require only nvidia/ati graphics? and is the Matrox good for games/is it overclockable?
  2. Led

Led Banned

No, probably not. I've never heard of that graphics brand.
  3. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

4. Led

Led Banned

I reminder about Can you run it though. It doesn't say you can play the game at a framerate that's decent. It just says you can run it.
  5. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Weak points in that computer would be the graphics card and possibly the RAM.

That graphics card would really cripple anything you threw at the computer. It's the equivalent of an ATI 8500 series card.
  6. Tarthen

Tarthen New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Pentium D's are old. They were top of the line six or so years ago.
    My Eee has that much RAM.
    I have 2.5TB >>.
    And a 9800GT/8600GTS, depending on the desktop.

TBH, the specs aren't all that good. You could try and get away with CoD4 on 1024x768 on medium, and Crysis at 800x600 on lowest everything. DMC4 has no chance of running (My X3220, 9800GT, 4GB 1066mhz, uber desktop can run it highest at 50fps - it can run CoD4 at a couple hundred and BF2 in the upper 300's - so it's not a weak game). GTA4 will die horribly. Assassin's Creed probably won't get past the Ubisoft logo.

TBH, rip the CPU out, and if it's a socket 775, plug in a Q6600/X3220. Lots of power, little volt usage, very overclockable. If you can afford it, find a 9800GT or a nVidia GTX250 or something, although I doubt the mobo has PCI-E. And try new HDD's if they're IDE. SCSI is SATA, though (I think).
  7. tgluak

tgluak New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Chuck a big GPU in it... lol