old user jumping back into jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markomite, Apr 10, 2010.

1. markomite

markomite New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I lost my ipod touch a while ago, and as a result, stopped staying up to date on new jailbreak methods.

However, I'm thinking about getting a new iPhone/iPoT and I want to know which iDevices can't be jailbroken. I've heard that OTB 3.1.3 iPhone 3GS can't be jailbroken because of the new bootrom, and upgrading to 3.1.3 pretty much screws you over. Is 3.1.2 only a tethered jailbreak? And why can't one just downgrade from a 3.1.3 OTB and jailbreak as usual?

if you could tell me which versions are jailbreakable, on a Mac, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    They can't downgrade because apple needs to sign the fw for then. And some don't have their shsh on hi server. And 3.1.2 is only tethered for some 3GS's and all ipt 3G's and also some 3GS's can be untethered on 3.1.2 an 3.1.3. Like mine
  3. markomite

markomite New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

ahh, I looked up SHSH, and I found this article, which cleared a lot up for me.

From this, I'm assuming that the iPhone 3GS's you buy nowadays come with 3.1.3, so you can't jailbreak them, but if you're upgrading from 3.0, then jailbreaking is possible.

What determines if the jailbreak has to be tethered or not?