Old school graffiti artist to digital artist.

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by jimbeam, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I suck at PhotoShop and Gimp. I can edit photos and do basic stuff, but when it comes to doing anything artistic with them I just can't make it happen. I'm an old school graffiti artist. I am very good with spray paint, any paint really, markers, pencils, pens, but when it comes to any digital art tools I just can't get it going. I don't want to pay for school to learn this stuff because I'm not planning on making a carrier out of it. I do it as a hobby. But I really want to make the switch to digital/Graphic art. I can't do graffiti anymore because if I get caught again it's not going to be good and I don't have a wall in my house I get just go to work on. I also don't have room for a good canvas setup, so I'm left with a sketchbook, markers and pencils. I want to do more then paper stuff but I don't have a good outlet anymore.

I'm thinking a graphics tablet and the right software would do the trick. Anybody know of a good (cheap) tablet with software even a complete noob like myself can figure out?
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Graphics tablets are very hard to use in the beginning, absolutely nothing like actual drawing with a pen.
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    My dad bought one when I was in high school (90's) and it sucked. I was hoping maybe they got better since then. I could use it, but it never felt natural. Like there was a huge separation between you and what you were doing.
  4. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've never managed to find a graphics tablet I've been comfortable with, but I love the trackpad on my MacBook. Which is interesting, since most people hate using laptop trackpads

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I love the trackpad on my MacBook, but it feels like finger painting using photoshop.

If the ipad could sense pressure on the screen and work with different size, shaped and textured stylus it would be perfect.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    im almost exactly the same as you, i did graff for two years and then wanted to switch to digital. The only thing i can say is that its gonna take you a loongg time to get comfortable with it. I still do graff and everytime i open up PS its like WTF? so its gonna take a while to get used to it all
  7. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You could rig up a stapled-together drywall rig between two trees and use that as a canvas. Can be a bit expensive though.

I really don't have anything that answers your specific question though.

Please Register or Log in to view images