Old Macbook Pro or New Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by AnotherFan, Oct 26, 2008.

1. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

Okay, so I am planning on getting a Macbook for university. I need a laptop that will run well for the next 4 years. I am planning on waiting for the new Macbooks to either drop in price, or upgrade in specs within the next 8 months. I know some people can't wait, but I'm willing to do so.

The thing is, I was offered an older Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2.6GHz, 250GB HD, 4GB RAM) for $850. It's still in its original box unopened. This differs quite a bit from the new Macbook I was planning to get, (13-inch, 2.4GHz, 250GB HD, 2GB RAM) for $1749. After comparing the specs, doing some reading and looking at videos of both of them working, it seems that the older Macbook Pro is the way to go, but I have this paranoia pushing for me to wait and get a new one.

I don't need the advanced graphics or anything and the bigger screen is pretty nice, but will I regret not getting the new Macbook?

Plus, are the screens on the new Macbooks that bad? I saw the pics, but when I visited the Apple store I didn't notice at all.
  2. jessikur

jessikur Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Dang, that's a good deal. I would get the pro, personally. Technology advances so fast, get what you need when you need it, I say.
  3. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

Dude get the pro. The new MacBooks may be nice and all, but the old pros are still a great machine and at that price it's a steal. It may not be the sweetest thing on the market, but who cares? If you do get the new MacBook, next time you blink Apple will come out with something more advanced anyway. Get a machine you know works well and doesn't have the amount of bugs I'm sure the new notebooks have.
  4. hemispheric

hemispheric New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    that's an amazing deal! where did you find that!!?!??!?!
  5. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah, get the pro... the new macbooks only difference is the glass trackpad (and depending on the age of the pro, multitouch)
  6. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

Thanks for all the advice.

But I think I'll follow jessikur's advice because I still have 8 months to go before school, plus it seems that Snow Leopard is just around the corner (maybe this January), so I think I'll wait at least a few months before buying any Macbook. Yeah, I'm not sure if I can get this deal in a few months, but the prices for the old Macbooks (and new ones) have nowhere to go but down anyway. If the new OS comes out as soon as I hope, I'm pretty sure ebay, craigslist and kijiji will be crawling with old ones at about the same price too.

And The Little Azn, a friend of mine gave me this deal, but I was looking on craigslist and kijiji and found similar Macbook Pros for around $1000.
  7. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Nice deal! I would wait but the old MacBook Pro never had a 2.6GHz processor, the highest was 2.5GHz.
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I do not even know what Gz means! Jesus, I feel that I am the only person here who is not tech drowned

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    ohh, hmm, well i've been wrong before.

lol, it's ok. GHz stands for gigahertz which is the measurement of the speed of processors. So one gigahetz processor is 1 million hertz.