old laptop crashed, having trouble with itouch/itunes on new laptop. HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ccooper0, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ccooper0

ccooper0 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    First of all, I've bought the 3rd gen 32gb itouch about a month and a half ago. My itouch/itunes were working great on my old laptop, which died. So, I was able to plug in my itouch after installing itunes on my new laptop and it synced. However, when I plug my itouch in now, the "setup your iPod" screen pops up on itunes. It says "An iPod has previously been synced with this computer" and gives me the option to "Set up as a new iPod" or "Restore from the backup of: Chelsea's iPod." When I restore from the backup of my iPod, I get an error message that says "Itunes can not restore the iPod "Chelsea's iPod" because the backup session failed."

So, I can't get my itunes to recognize my ipod. It won't sync. I originally had a problem with all of my apps, they wouldn't work... now they working, but all of my music has been deleted.

I'm not really technologically savvy... anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Chelsea

**I reset my ipod to factory defaults so I no longer have anything on it. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling itunes... but I am still getting the same error message when I plug in my itouch. It's still saying "Itunes can not restore the iPOd because the backup session failed." I also tried the option to "set up a new ipod" but Itunes freezes every time I've tried that.

Ugggggghhhhh I just want it to work!
  2. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    DFU Restore to the newest firmware and it should recognize the iPod and you should be able to sync. Also, upgrade to the newest version of iTunes.
  3. ccooper0

ccooper0 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I did reset my ipod, no more music or apps or anything. I went to the apple store today and they were able to get my ipod to start syncing... when I came home to finish, my itunes begins to sync and then says it can't finish because "The iPod "Chelsea's iPod" cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes library (12.99 GB required, 1.82GB available) Would you like iTunes to choose a selection of songs to sync this iPod?" My itunes thinks my ipod touch is 4gb... and it's a 30gb. So, I feel like the problem is with my itunes and not my itouch. Any ideas on why it recognizes it as a 4gb and not 30gb?
  4. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    settings>general>about

make sure apple didnt swap ur ipod lol
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    settings>general>about

make sure apple didnt swap ur ipod lol