Old Iphone 3G, can I use as a pay-as-you-go phone?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Chat 2.0' started by Big_Danny_D, May 1, 2012.

1. Big_Danny_D

Big_Danny_D New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have an old IPhone 3g that has been sitting in my desk for like 2 yrs. I got rid of my phone I've been using and now I'm wondering if I can put this old IPhone 3g to good use. I'm thinking of getting a pay as you go plan for like $25 a month for minutes and wifi only for data. I haven't changed anything on it yet and its the same as when I walked out of the At&T store with it. I'm sure Ive got to unlock it and all that but can this idea be done? Im new to all this so good advice pls. Thx guys, much love.
  2. Big_Danny_D

Big_Danny_D New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I had to rush through my first post so let me clarify cause I got time now. I bought the Iphone 3g and got the 2 yr contract from AT&T and loved everything about it except the high bill every month. So I used it for the 2yrs but never renewed the service with AT&T. So now the phone has no service. Can I convert this IPhone into a pay as you go phone? I've seen on other forums that it seems like it can be done, but not too much specifics from what I could find just doing a google search. A step-by-step walkthrough would be a godsend on how to unlock or "crack" the iphone because I bought this phone when AT&T was the only provider for the IPhone. Just a new SIM card and adjust settings on phone will do it? I'm just trying to avoid buying a new phone cause I'm cheap these days, lol
  3. Xenonmagnum

Xenonmagnum Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Sorry not a lot of people have responded, most seemed to be tied up in another thread...

Regardless, for this to even be thought about working, you would need it unlocked. Your carrier should be able to unlock it for you if you have been with them for a while and in good standing.

In terms of putting it on a different carrier for pay as you go (AT&T won't actually let you use any smartphone without a data plan) I'm uncertain if you'll be able to go the Walmart straight talk path like the iPhone 4/4S. You should be able to get it on T-Mobile though, i'll double check and I can bring up a thread on that if it's there. I'm just uncertain of either would work for the 3G, though I know it will for the 3GS.

Okay, I snagged this for the AT&T route:

The way you'd get a SIM for PAYG: go to an AT&T store and ask to start up a new GoPhone - Pay As You Go account. Have at least $25 to use as an initial balance fillup (they might try to charge you for the SIM otherwise), and don't tell them it's for an iPhone (advice: bring a different GSM phone for activation).

After you get the SIM activated and before you put in your iPhone, to be on the safe side contact AT&T Customer Service (1-800-901-9878 or 611) to have them block data on the account. That will give you less risk of using up your balance on random data charges (the iPhone loves to nickel and dime on the data connection).

There's also GoPhone - Pick Your Plan that could work too:
    $29.99+tax 200min (.15/min deduct on calls)
    $39.99+tax 300min (.1333/min) + 500 N&W + free M2M
    $49.99+tax 400min (.125/min) + 3000 N&W + free M2M
    $69.99+tax 650min (.108/min) + free N&W and M2M
    Texing costs the same as PayAsYouGo

PYP requires a recurring credit/debit card or e-check payment. You must have the payment info (and pay for the first month of service) before activation completes.

The instructions to get PYP are similar to PAYG above, but the Customer Service Number you'd need to contact later is 1-866-499-7888.
  4. Big_Danny_D

Big_Danny_D New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thx for the info, you are awesome. This gives me a starting spot. But like you said, first things first, I got to unlock the IPhone. Cant have carrier do it so I got to, I've read that redsnow is the way to go, does this sound right? well, redsnow does the jailbreak but i read you have to jailbreak before the carrier unlock.
  5. Big_Danny_D

Big_Danny_D New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok so, step 1 complete. Jailbreak successful and Cydia is loaded on the iPhone. Now to unlock the phone...
  6. comet

comet Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Yep! I used it on my iPhone 2G by jailbreaking.
    Just jailbreak (hacktivate) the phone.
    Oh, and on my 3GS I activated it with a random SIM card that came with it and then popped in the other one. This might work for you (no jailbreaking.)
  7. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    You can have AT&T unlock the iPhone for you now you know... You completeled your contract with them, so there should be no trouble.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57411361-285/how-to-unlock-an-at-t-iphone/

Just call AT&T and set up a ticket (or whatever they are called,) and Apple should have the unlock sent to you through iTunes (relatively) quickly.

I mean, if you want to jailbreak, go for it. But, if the only reason you are jailbreaking is for the unlock, do it the official way. (I think it would save a bit of battery life too, I've forgotten how jailbreaks effect older devices though, so this could be false.)
  8. Big_Danny_D

Big_Danny_D New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ya I just did the jailbreak, I wanted to anyways to get all the jailbreak features. But now I got a problem that I forgot about, I dropped the phone along time ago so the wifi isnt working. I pulled out the motherboard yesterday and tried the oven reflow, but to no avail. And put it back together and still works pefectly except the wifi. Now I got to fix thie wifi cause PAYG data sux IMO because its so slow and not worth it. But I might have to if wifi cant be fixed. I know how to do some soldering so I might have to. So I have the jailbroke Iphone and it has no service and no wifi so no internet access at the moment, can I do the unlock or do I have to have internet to do it?