Okay to uninstall the app 'SSH'?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Emanjl, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys,

I have a question. After I jailbroke my 1.1.2 iPod, I chose to install the app "SSH.app". Is this really needed? The only things it can do it seems is turn OpenSSH 'on' or 'off' and change your root password. If I uninstall/delete it does that mean I can't connect to my iPod anymore? Is this app really needed? I need to know because I like to keep all my apps neat and tidy on one "page/screen" and it is taking up space on my iPod.

Thanks in advance

Please Register or Log in to view images

EmanjL.
  2. tomsabin

tomsabin New Member

If you turn it off, you can't connect to your iPod anymore. If you want to keep your springboard tidy, hide the app using customize or iOrder.. something like that, and if you want to access the SSH.app again you can do that with the Dock, Launcher or Finder (apps from Installer)..
  3. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks Tom, but I'm not trying to 'turn it off', but asking if it's OK to uninstall/delete it from the Applications directory. However, if I do, will it block all SSH/SFTP into my iPod? I will look into just 'hiding' it from my Springboard, but please tell me if it is safe to uninstall/delete it.

Thanks a lot for the reply,

EmanjL.
  4. tomsabin

tomsabin New Member

Do a test, make a back up of the SSH.app on your computer, and delete the one on your iPod (with it turned on). Then see if you can still connect to your iPod. If then you will have to re-jailbreak because you can't connect back..

Because I haven't seen this/tried this so I don't know what would happen if you deleted that app: I would hide it though.
  5. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks yet again Tom,

I've decided to hide it as I don't want to risk losing everything on my iPod and having to jailbreak again.

Thanks x2

Please Register or Log in to view images

Eman.