iOS 3.1 Okay, something interesting about downgrading...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ihax_ipt, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ihax_ipt

ihax_ipt Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So if you saw my previous ranting, you would know that I had SHSH's on file when I upgraded to 4.0, and now I cannot downgrade to 3.1.2. (Please look at the "ranting" before you say that I didn't edit my hosts file).

So, out of desperation for Cydia, I decided to take a look at the 3.1.3 firmware, and compare it with 3.1.2. I took apart both .ipsw files and looked at both Restore.plists and BuildManifest.plists. Basically, I went through the 3.1.2 plist files editing to match that of 3.1.3, as well as renaming the ramdisks, etc.

I packaged it all up, and started a restore in Recovery mode. Like many of you know, if you try restoring to 3.1.2 without SHSH's backed up, iTunes will say "Verifying restore with Apple," and then say that the device is not configured for that build.

Well, when I tried restoring with this edited 3.1.2 firmware, it got past that point and began to say "Preparing iPod for restore." It then gave me an error. Although this certain modification of the firmware didn't work, I am convinced that with the help of you guys and more searching, I can make this work.

Please, contribute your ideas. If it is allowed, I will post the plist files on this thread for all to see.

Thanks
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    This "method" of downgrading is rather old. A thread was closed trying to do the same thing about a month ago. Also the .plist are Apple copyright, so no distributing is allowed.
  3. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    there were a couple other people trying this, I don't know who though.
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Forgot to add it never worked.