Okay... is it possible for a touch's wifi to be defective?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by guitarbball0092, Sep 13, 2008.

1. guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have two routers set up in my house. One's the native Verizon router, and one's a linksys router piggybacking off of the Verizon router.

In short, my WiFi works fine on my laptop and my PC with a wireless USB recieiver on both routers. However, my iPod Touch works ONLY on the linksys router (when connected to the Verizon router, it shows full signal strength but shows the message "Safari cannot open the page because your iPod is not connected to the internet"). When I connect to the linksys router, it will stay connected and sometimes work all right, sometimes it will just hang up in the middle of loading the page. But then like 2 minutes after connecting I'll be kicked off the router and my iPod can only find Verizon. I'll wait 3 minutes, and it'll connect to linksys again, and repeat the above process.

It's very annoying. So I'm wondering, is my iPod defective? Is it the way my network is set up? If it's defective, can I replace it for a 2G touch?

Thanks for all help

Please Register or Log in to view images

~Drew
  2. teekaysk8

teekaysk8 New Member

i'm sure linksys had a problem with touches in the earlyer days... try upgrsading router to latest firmware perhaps... if not it could be a case for apple
  3. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    your wifi on your touch could be defective on the 2g thing im unsure when did you buy it
  4. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't think the wifi on your iPod is "Defective". I have a linksys router and my iPod works all the time on it. As for verzion...idk.
  5. serjen

serjen New Member

If you bought it a while ago then you wont be able to swap it for a 2G, i doubt you would be able to anyway, go to your nearest apple store and ask one of the people to check it out
  6. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    why cant the wifi be defective i know its apple but come on not everything they make is perfect they make mistakes like every one else
  7. guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'll try that. Thanks

So if my iPod screen went out randomly some day, I wouldn't be able to replace it? That's scary...

If upgrading the router's firmware doesn't help, I'll make a genius appointment.

I bought it September 20th, 2007.

Yea, and I don't really care as much about it not working with Verizon as much as I care about it not working at all.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Isn't there a way to access a wireless router's control panel via an internet explorer browser?
  8. Anarchy1223

Anarchy1223 New Member

Check your firewall settings, i've had similar problem and I found it to be that my Netgears inbuilt firewall was blocking all the data from being sent to my Wireless Access Point.

Might be a problem with your firewall...
  9. guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'll check that also. How do you put firmware updates on the router? And isn't there a way to access a wireless router's control panel via a internet browser?
  10. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I said I don't THINK the wifi is defective. The reason: My iPod does not work with some routers also. That does not make it defective.

Furthermore I never said everything Apple made was perfect.