Ok i just paid money to ruin my new itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheapskateocer, Dec 25, 2008.

1. cheapskateocer

cheapskateocer New Member

Hello all, I am new to the forum and am looking forward to chatting and learning about the itouch

I just got a 1gen 16GB itouch this morning and plugged it into the computer to charge, after charging for a while i started transferring some of my music and it worked fine then i transferred some of my own videos i downloaded from tooble still worked fine, then i started downloading some free game apps from itunes only to realize i could not transfer them unless i had the new update
    Ok fine ill pay the 9.95 so i can check out some games on my new toy, well it downloaded the update fine, it installed the update fine, then when it was restoring my information BAM i got a (error -36) thats all it said i looked over at the itouch and it was a lit black screen thats it i waited for a few minutes then held the home button and the hold button to reset it and the it powered back on the showed the small apple logo for a few seconds and went right back to the black screen

How crappy is that I was really looking forward to checking out my new toy

thanks for looking and any advise other than taking it to my local applestore to get it swapped out if they even have a 1gen is welcome
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Put it into recovery mode, and restore.

If that fails, use DFU mode.
  3. Kdawg123

Kdawg123 New Member

Did you try putting it in DFU mode my holding the home and on/off button? After you put it into DFU mode, it should reset to factory settings.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. cheapskateocer

please explain how to do these things the manual is so bare i dont know what buttons are what
  5. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The on/off button is the button on top. The home button is the button with the rounded square on it.

To put it into recovery mode:

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone or iPod touch.
    2. Power off the device (Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the the iPhone or iPod touch to turn off.
    3. Press and hold the Home button while reconnecting USB cable. When you reconnect USB, the device should then power on.
    4. Continue holding the Home button while iPhone starts up. While starting up, you will see the Apple logo.
    5. When you see "Connect to iTunes" on the screen, you can release the Home button and iTunes will display the recovery mode message.
  6. cheapskateocer

Thank you , unfortunately it started to do it then just kept saying preparing ot restore for a few minutes then gave me a n error 1604 and my screen just stays black at one point in time it was all white
  7. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1604 means you need to use a different computer I think.
  8. cheapskateocer

I can try our other computer but i dont know what would be wrong with this one
  9. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It happened to me too...

I tried for hours trying to restore, before I tried another computer
  10. cheapskateocer

ok so i went upstairs and downloaded the itunes 8.0 then installed it the tried the restor and i got a error unable to access you do not have permission check your network settings whatever the hell that means ... wow this is frustrating