OK, Curious about this stuff... Help

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by sangesf, Dec 8, 2007.

1. sangesf

sangesf New Member

OK,

So anytime I go to look at my np45.plist or info.plist files, they are all in "binary"...

Anytime I go to edit them, I can't because they are all in binary, if I replace them with non-binary versions, my iPod stops working properly.

is there anyway to fix this issue.

Example #1....

I want to get Customize and the Ipod/Media player to work.
    So I install Customize, I install the Ipod/Media app and then I'm supposed to change/edit my np45.plist and/or my Info.plist. Anytime I do, it totally screws up my Ipod.

Then I have to restore/jailbreak again.

Example #2...

I want to use iOrder to change the order of my Icons...

It tells me I need to import the np45.plst file, and when I do it tells me it's a binary file and it has to "parse" it, and when it does, iOrder only shows me the main iPod apps and I when I add the others and replace it on my iPoT, it craps out and I have to restore/jailbreak.

This is annoying...

Am I the ONLY person with this problem?
  2. sangesf

sangesf New Member

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

BUMP!!!!!
  3. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Bump! One More Time...

Here's the real issue...

99% of the stuff coming out now asks everyone to edit the typical ****.plist file.

I'm afraid to do ANYTHING as it will probably brick my iPod, could someone please be a pal and help me out with this question?

Thank you in advance.

fxs
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Plain Text plists work, they are simple xml files. I'm not sure what you could be doing wrong, but instead of restoring and rejailbreaking every time, why not just save a backup of the N45AP.plist and rename it N45AP.plist.backup. That way, if anything happens, you can simply revert to the backup.

Also, there are utilities out there that will convert plist files into human readable files. Plutil, for example is a great one (and is built into Macs (from what I hear; I can't say for certain, as I don't have a Mac)).
  5. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Funny thing is, i DO back up the plists.. for some reason when I put them back.. the same thing still happens...

It's weird.

As a matter of fact, a new wierdness showed up today...
    I was in the middle of using safari and was on mapquest... I looked at a map, then safari locked up, I shut down the touch and when i rebooted the safari icon dissappeared from the springboard and I couldn't even launch it from Mobile Finder.
    I AGAIN, had to reJailBreak. I'm beginning to think my iPoT, is cursed

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Very clearly and concisely, post step by step what you are doing to the plist files.
  7. itouch101

itouch101 New Member

8. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Basically.. I use iphonebrowser app to save the file onto my desktop (as well it backs it up into another folder on the PC).

I then open it up with WordPad... I make the change (If it's NOT in binary) and then just save the file and replace it on the iPoT.

If i find one that's in Binary, I've been using a Binary > ascii text converter and then I make the change and add it back to where i took it from.
  9. blajeans

blajeans New Member

when you copy files to your ipod do you also change the permission to 755... maybe you forgot to do that...
  10. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Nah, I ALWAYS do that.

The thing is, certain plist files. (like info.plist in let's say mobilemusicplayer app) are in binary when I see them, and if someone gives me their's (which wouldn't really be any different than mine in THIS specific example) then i should be able to have it use the ascii one, instead of the binary one.

But sometimes it doesn't work.

(also, everyone doesn't know this but... you have to make sure you correctly capitalize folders and/or files or you create alot of problems.)

Oh and one other thing, if anyone wants to know how to free up at LEAST another 70-80 Megs from the diskrs01 partition (as to free up more application space and you DON'T want to actually MOVE your applications folder) let me know. I'll show you