OK, buying touch tonigth...what do I need to know? Apps, jailbreak etc..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digitalduck, May 14, 2008.

1. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Ok, first I want to say...I know, I know, I know....there are a lot of discussons about June and sept and to just wait and see...possible price drops, change in firware...maybe even hardware.. but I just sold my pda and need something to replace it.

I guess I have some questions that I am somewhat confused on..

1. The new Jan update wiht apps..if I buy now is it installed or do I still have to pay for it?

2. Ok, the big one..jailbreaking....which app is the best and most reliable?

3. OK..anoter big one...after June if they announce a new firmware or software etc..how will it affect my jailbreak? Wil I have to restore my touch (removign all the apps) then apply the update then wait till that comes out with a jailbreaking option?

4. Might as well ask this...I put a lot of movies on my pocekt pc so i would like to do something simliar wiht the touch...what would be a good program?

5. How does the apple store being opened affect the touch if its jailbreaked? Sorry im a newbie..

6. About basic functions like the photo app..that is somethign that comes on it?

7. Lastly....Ive heard that replacing the background wiht an image is a jailbreaked app option?

I think thats it..im going to pick up the 16gig...and hey if somehting new "does" come out..ill sell it..i think its worth it.

Thank You!
  2. latinoheat69

latinoheat69 New Member

ok first go to ziphone.org and download ziphone...
    after that go to installer and add sources like blazeco.info/blaze.xml and refresh them
    apps i recommend:
    bsd subsystem,summerboard,customize 2.0,iSlsk,Tris,wallpaper,mxtube,iphysics,themes for summerboard,wallpaper,etc.
    good luck

Please Register or Log in to view images

the 1.1.4 will come with it though they're free with jailbreak
    you will have to restore to 2.0 or it MIGHT go to recovery mode
    to convert videos try iPodME it's here in the forums or try Videora iPod converter..both free apps
    any other thing just pm me

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Latinoheat,

Thanks for the reply...

When the new update comes out (even if its June) Im assuming ill have to restore and apply the update then wait until the new version has been j-broken? Or just purchase thngis from the app store?

16g models J-break as easy as the 8gigs?

Thanks!
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

1. They're included on new iPod touches.
    2. Don't listen to him. ZiPhone is stolen and causes problems. iLiberty+ (http://ipluspwns.com) is much better and causes far less problems.
    3. It won't affect your jailbreak. You should be able to just update. Jailbreaking 2.0 is an option, but Installer.app cannot be installed as of now.
    4. Just use iTunes. Convert the movies first though.
    5. No idea what you're talking about.
    6. A better photos app is PhotoBoard.
    7. It is. Summerboard.
    8. iPhysics. Go to http://iphone.r4m0n.net
    9. Jailbreaking 16 GB is as easy as the 8 GB. Just push a button.

Click Everything in my signature for... Everything.
  5. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Sorry what I meantabout number 5 was if your touch is jb then how will that affect you getting thigns from the store of you wanted...i guess i dont fully understand what jb'ing will do for you once the store is open...will you still be able to get hte apps free?

Also....I notied the 16gig is like 60-70 dollars cheaper on newegg than best buy..however it dosent come wiht the jan update...but i can acquire taht through jailbreaking it right?
  6. latinoheat69

latinoheat69 New Member

7. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

OK big question..I was going to go to Best Buy and pick this up right now but I just saw that Newegg has the 16gig for 339.00 retail box. The only thing is it doesn't come with the software update but even if I JB it I cna get the update so why not get that then? Even with fed ex 2nd day its $354.00 Should I jump on this?

Also: what is ssh?