Ohhh...SHIZIT!! HELP!

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by appleisgod, Nov 20, 2007.

1. appleisgod

appleisgod New Member

Okay, I think I just accidentally destroyed my computer...
    I was typing this into Terminal:

chmod -R a+x /Applications/*

And I had forgotten to SSH my iPod first, so it started changing the permissions on everything on my COMPUTER INSTEAD!!

Now I can't open, save, delete, rename, ect. any files on my computer!!! What do I do?!?! HEEEELPP MEEE!!!!
  2. Shade

Shade New Member

Create a new user profile on your computer and log into that and see if it fixes anything
  3. LOLPERTE

LOLPERTE New Member

restore it
  4. atticus182

atticus182 New Member

hahahaha it's not like your ipod dude,, you cant just restore windows

Please Register or Log in to view images

and besides,, when you change permissions to 755 or 777 you can't "lock" your folders.. I think this guy;s faking

5. appleisgod

appleisgod New Member

(still not working!!!)

Okay, I thought I fixed everything last night by viewing info and resetting permissions, so I went to bed.

This morning, I woke up and tried waking my computer. It didn't respond for half an hour, so I had to restart it. Now all of my System Preferences are reset to default, it won't let me fix my wallpaper or screensaver (which are now on default, too) and I had to redo my dock!! WHAT IS GOING ON?!!?

If I take my Mac to the store, will they be able to fix it?!

I'm pretty pissed right now because I had just finished customizing my computer. Now it's ruined, and I have to start from scratch!!
  6. appleisgod

appleisgod New Member

atticus182, I'm not faking. I'm using a Mac, and I'm telling you, Terminal just started executing a bunch of commands when I typed that phrase in, and now my computer is ruined!!
  7. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

You might have to reinstall everything is about all you can do. What kind of problems is your Mac displaying?
  8. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah actually I think it's you who doesnt know what you're talking about, because, YEAH u can restore windows, and Mac OSX, it's really not that hard... I've done it many times.
  9. Midnight

Midnight New Member

I'm not sure how a Mac works, but in Windows there is an option to go into the BIOS (upon booting up) that takes you to a choice to return everything to the last known point where all was working okie dokie... had to do that over the weekend myself when my mouse quit working. Was the only option I had considering I couldn't click on anything to do a system restore. LOL Maybe there's a similar option with a Mac?

Anyways, worth checking into.

10. appleisgod

appleisgod New Member

-All app settings are reset as soon as I close them.
    -AIM, Yahoo, iTunes, Safari, Firefox, Photoshop ect.

-All system preferences are reset to factory settings when I turn off my computer.
    -Dock, Screensaver, Wallpaper, (ALL SETTINGS)

-I can't drag photos to my desktop off of Firefox

-I can't drag files into another app window
    -Specifically my iSquint 'drag and drop' video converter
    -Safari resets
    - Loses/can't open/won't save bookmarks

-Some files simply won't let me open them, even after I've set new preferences for them.

I've tried using DiskUtility, but that hasn't been any help.
    Luckily I have 1TB of storage on my external disks, so most of my files are safe (Movies, Pictures, Documents...), but my internal hard drive contains all of my system files, so it's affected literally every single application I have.

I haven't tried the 'Archive and Install' with my original Mac Disks, but hopefully I can do that after school tomorrow.