Oh man I'm so conflicted here, iPod Touch 2G vs. Archos 5

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wanuvakind, Sep 25, 2008.

1. wanuvakind

wanuvakind New Member

Ok so before I'm accused of anything, I have owned both Archos and Apple players in the past.

I had an Archos MP3 player, and when that broke, I got an upgraded version that did Video.

This was back in like, the first gen of iPods.

Then when the battery died on that, I went ahead and got an Apple ipod, since I went with Archos twice and they let me down both times.

So of course my iPod's hard drive crashed about a year ago, so I went without music for about a year, then got a CD player.

So now I have a bit of money possibly coming my way soon, could be about 300 - 350 bucks, (US) and the delema strikes again.

To be honest both the iPod and Archos guys have features to bash each other.

Now I'll be honest. I don't buy music. So iTunes is just something I deal with. The interface is well, sort of annoying, and I hate syncing and all that crap.

And the fact that they offer an 8gig model is just insulting.

BUT, the 32 gig may be enough for what I need. Assuming I swap stuff out often.

The Archos on the other hand offers a larger hard drive (Then again though, so does the Ipod Classic, but I'll take that off the table, I'm a dork, the new features thrill me)

So then there's the extra features.

Both have internet, apparently Archos is better, but not perfect. I want Firefox on it, I want to be able to install plugins on the fly. I want to be able to view ANY streaming thing.

So this is my main Delema.

Archos has great add ons, that you have to buy.

On the other hand...

Apple iPod Touch has this thing called Jailbreak. While I haven't done full research, it's apparently awesome. And it lets you do a LOT.

And lets be honest, Apples popularity in itself IS a feature when it comes to third party applications. There are a LOT of people out there trying to unlock and ad to the iPod, there's even a program to let you read comics and a cable to allow for TV out.

Archos can work as a DVR though, for an extra $100.

The iPod doesn't recognize many different video files. BUT, because of this, the format it does recognize is becoming more popular. I mean, usually when it comes time to download a video, you pretty much get a choice of what format you want it to be in. And if not, well I can convert.

The Archos does have a much larger screen though...

And I assume the Archos does NOT reduce resolution of images right? So if I were to go to mapquest and plan my rout, and save it on my Archos as about 20 or 30 image files, in case I can't find wi-fi... I could do that right?

Does the Archos do TV out right out of the box?

I hate being so mixed up. Jailbreak VS more Space. better aps vs. DVR (for more money).

What do you guys think?
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Grr, it's "Dilemma"

And, if you're asking my opinion, I've never found an mp3 player better than my iPod touch. When you jailbreak, it becomes so much more than just something to listen to music on.

I vote iPod.
  3. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

I concur with Meikura.

Off topic - man , Meikura , your on 1.1.4 ?
    That's crazy , haha.
    Haven't seen that in awhile.
  4. Heand

Heand New Member

I have both an Archos 605 and Ipod touch 2G. It all depends on what you want to use it to.

Mainly video, the Archos is better. You don't have to convert anything and the screen is bigger.
    For everything else, the Ipod wins.
  5. upsidedownsoup

upsidedownsoup Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well it really matters about the size of your music library. im probably gonna upgrade my 1st gen touch, which i love by the way, to a 32 GB 2g touch around christmas time, so hopefully there will be a jailbreak for it.

but it really comes down to memory. if you need alot of space, i would probably go with a classic. i mean theyre getting more and more room for less and less. i think its 120 gb for $250 and 240 gb for $350. so if you need a poopload of room i would go with the classic.

however if you only need a bit, like 16 -25. i would probably go with the touch, simply because if you jailbreak it, you will get WAY more out of it. the archos has add-ons, yes, BUT, for a fee. with the ipod, you can get most software add-ons for free.

so basically, i would go with apple all the way. plus if anything goes wrong, they have a 1 year complementary warranty on it.
  6. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not meaning to hijack your thread but:
    1.1.4 ftw, I'm just waiting for the day that you all come crawling back to the 1.1.X generation firmwares when you realise that 2.X is overhyped

Please Register or Log in to view images

Back on topic:
    @wanuvakind, why not add a poll?
  7. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    it is its unstable and impossible to know whats gonna happen
  8. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ipod... all the way.. unless the Archos can me jb...
  9. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well its not exactly the smallest player around
    Size and weight
    Height:
    4.3 inches (110 mm)
    Width:
    2.4 inches (61.8 mm)
    Depth:
    0.33 inch (8.5 mm)
    ipod touch ^

Approx 127,5 x 78,3 x 12,9 mm (for 60GB* model) – 250gr
    Approx 127 x 78,8 x 19,4 mm (for 120/250GB* models
    archos 5^

also when it comes down to software, you cant beat the touch's app support and customization. also, multitouch!!

and better internet (safari)

go ipod
  10. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

I dunno , 2.1 seems pretty intensely awesome

Please Register or Log in to view images

2.0.x sucked balls though.

I guess I should get back on topic too , doesn't the Archos thing need these super expensive updates just to play certain formats and stuff ?