Offline Map

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by barbiegirl2000, Mar 28, 2009.

1. barbiegirl2000

barbiegirl2000 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Since no such app exists I propose that either a private entity or google maps takes on this idea. The basic story is I was with my friends in the car yesterday without a street directory trying to find where to go. With no open wifi around we had to guess. If I had an app that was like a street directory it would have been a life saver. Of course you wouldn't need an offline map of the world, just a map of your own local area or city.

Idea: I think Google should implement a draw and capture technology into the Google Maps, where you simply drag a square around the area you are interested in and it saves all the images for that area offline. What would be awesome is if you were still able to access the directions function so that a route between two points of the offline map could be established.
  2. jonyip

jonyip New Member

I second that! Much better than relying too much on wifi or GPS.

Perhaps with an optional update or sync function which the user can do on their own time for updated maps?
  3. Pileot

Pileot New Member

there is an offline maps app, called "offlinemaps"

google for it, its sort of complicated to use, but it works.
  4. franticfantom

franticfantom New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I believe you can do this in xGPS. When your around wifi, go through your local area to have xGPS download the maps. You'll want to do this in all the zoom levels. Im not sure how much maps it'll download before it starts deleting some, but it might not. If it does, there's probably a setting for that. It'll save the maps for future use. Oh, and xGPS is for jailbroken devices only right now.