Official Skype App Coming out Tuesday!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by lilaz_boi, Mar 30, 2009.

1. lilaz_boi

lilaz_boi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/30/skype-app-official-for-iphone-on-tuesday-blackberry-in-may/

It's legit; Skype is coming to the iPhone on Tuesday, BlackBerry devices in May. While we've seen plenty of Skype-capable apps on the iPhone, the poor, often echo-infected calls should be easily bested by the official Skype App that doesn't need the extra audio transcoding workaround required by the existing crop of unofficial apps. The Skype app works over WiFi only (not over EDGE or 3G data) and supports calls to SkypeOut contacts in addition to many of the other features you've used from the desktop client. iPod touch owners will require earphones with an embedded mic to talk. CNET has a hands-on preview of the App just as long as you can muster the energy required to hit the read link below.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]
  2. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Got it!
    And the first major news is that it IS possible to route the audio to your speaker with a mic/headset plugged in!!!!
    You press a speaker icon and the audio comes out the speaker and headset!
    That bodes well for many other apps too.
    Works really well so far.
    Have to import your Outlook contacts one at a time though (to call landlines with skype-out) .
    And I was hoping for voicemail, but no. At least not that I've found so far.
  3. that one guy

that one guy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    too bad you have to pay for skype
  4. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Yeah.
    Its $5-6 a month for unlimited calls in/out.
    Quite a bargain over cellular plans I would say.
    And of course free for skype to skype calls worldwide.
  5. scraggly

scraggly New Member

nope , the application is free and skype-to-skype calls are free , you only have to pay for skype to landline/mobile calls
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    anyone else having issues with Skype App , I have downloaded it from the App Store , but when ever I try to enter my username , the app closes and punts me back to spring board .... ??
  6. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Did you re-boot after installing? Only thing I can think of.
    Interesting for iPhone people:
    "Skype works on AT&T's 3G on iPhone 3.0
    Mon, 03/30/2009 - 20:12 — Seth Weintraub

We just found something very interesting. When you install Skype on a 3.0 iPhone, you can use AT&T's connection to make and receive calls. Skype treats the 3G line like any other internet connection. The video is uploading now to youtube and will be posted as soon as it is there.

Update:we just made a Skype call over 3G to another 3.0 iPhone using 3G. The sound quality was as good, if not better than normal AT&T."
    http://www.9to5mac.com/skype-works-on-3G-3.0
    Same article says this tho:
    "On the iPod Touch, things are not going that great; Skype is running down the battery pretty fast."
    And it says it doesn't work on 3G....so we need further reports.
  7. scraggly

scraggly New Member

fixed it , Saurik issued a Mobile Substrate update via Cydia , this resolved the issue
  8. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I was wrong, don't have to add Outlook contacts one by one...on the dialer interface there's a button to bring up all your contacts...
    weird, in the "my info" page there's "voicemail activated" but I'm not getting how you send calls to voicemail or retrieve them yet...
  9. heymikey

heymikey New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I can't seem to find it at the app store

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Are you in Canada? They've blocked Skype from the Canadian iTunes store due to some legality. There is a way to get it though if you sign up for an account from the U.S. iTunes store.