[Official] Photography Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by the goat, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have the 18-135mm lens and so far its awesome. It's a bit loud, which is a con for me because I use video alot, but if you're just taking pictures, it's a great lens.(fantastic zoom)

Also, why should everyone get a 50mm?
  2. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Not quite sure myself but apparently its one of the best lenses in production? As I said I'm faily new to photography (got my DSLR in October) but loads of people have suggested that lens to me (50mm f1.8) and its super cheap and super small :)

And I think I will go for the 18-135mm but the problem is what to do with my other two xD How much do you think I could get them on eBbay, Craigslist or even on this website? Canon 18-55mm standard kit lens with IS and Canon 55-250mm with IS the latter comes in its own box but the 18-55 came in the kit bundle with camera so no box, both 100% fully functioning, I've actually barely used them :)
  3. rofl

rofl Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have about five lenses. Bob, why not just keep all of them. You may never know when you need that specific lens you have.
  4. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hmm, I'm only 15 so I don't have bags of money so I would need to somehow raise some cash for it, so keeping both of them wouldn't really be an option tbh :/ But thanks for the suggestion
  5. MrNuggets

MrNuggets Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    short

because
    1. its fast (f/1.8)
    2. its almost silent.
    3. its cheap.
    4. it resembles the human eye's field of view.
    and much much more, buy it and you'll love it, you can get a used one for less than 60$
  6. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I haven't used the 50mm before but everyone, literally everyone who has one recommended it to me
  7. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Eh....it's usefull for photos where the subject is moving fast, but I found no use for it (To me)
  8. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You'll only really notice a difference when using it (or any other prime) once you've fully got to grips with your camera, and how exposure works.

Just to others as well, Canon's 1.8 looks terrible at 100% wide open. Only at around 2.8 and above does it lose all the magenta fringes and sharpen up. Mine's also had to go dr repair after the focus group fell out. You get what you pay for.

Before buying a new lens (or any other gear) be sure to make use of any borrowing/rental you can. A shop near me lets you rent any gear before purchase, with your rent coming off the sale price.

And finally, just throwing it in there, currently saving for a 24-105 f4L IS.
  9. the goat

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hmm, I'll take that into consideration, my uncle has tons and tons of photography equipment I'll go round his house one day with my camera and properly check it out, and do you think it's worth selling my 18-55 and 55-250 and buying a 18-135 or just keep them?
  10. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    With the greater zooms, you're likely to lose image quality. I'd save up for a more worthwile one, like the 17-55 2.8 USM, or the 100mm macro.