Official Apple iPhone Unlock Possible!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erichuynh05, Aug 21, 2009.

1. erichuynh05

erichuynh05 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

It is possible to have an iPhone unlocked via Apple rather than jailbreaking and running ultrasn0w according to Olly Farshi of theappleblog.com.

Being located out of Europe Farshi is subscribed to a carrier other than AT&T (of course). His carrier is Sonera in Finland and he bought an iPhone 3G with them last year when they were the fresh hot and new thing to have.

Farshi, like most iPhone users, bought his iPhone 3G complete with a 2 yr carrier contract. When the iPhone 3GS arrived on the scen he upgraded. Normal thing. Tons of us did the same. The difference lies with the carrier Sonera who gave him the option to pay off the remainder of his original 3G contract which he did.

With the iPhone 3G contract paid off Farshi set after getting it unlocked officially - it is his and the carrier had been paid off after all. He contacted Sonera who made not of his IMEI # and submitted it to Apple. Next time Farshi syncd iTunes asked him to install an official carrier update, which he did. Afterwards iTunes popped up the unlocked screen (above) and now his iPhone 3G is unlocked officially by Apple.

There ya go. Carrier update -> unlocked. Simple. Good luck getting AT&T to even listen to you if you want to do the same thing though

Update: Yes we are well aware you can buy factory unlocked iPhones that have never been locked for $1000+. The above is concerning unlocking a locked iPhone.

via ModMyi.com
  2. iNatedawg

iNatedawg New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    this is fake...
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Apple won't do this.

It would violate some term in some contract they signed.

But they'd sell a LOT more I'd they did that.
  4. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The Apple logo shouldn't have a reflection.
  5. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Once your 2 year contract is up with any phone, the service provider is not supposed to refuse to unlock your phone. I have had at&t do so with 3 phones I previously owned before my iPhone.
  6. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Apple wont break their baseband via iTunes.
    Lmao. Thats the most funniest thing Ive ever heard of.

The picture is obviously fake, even I (have never used PhotoShop in my life) can construct that using Microsoft Paint, the most simplest photo editor ever used, that I actualy used to make my avatar.
  7. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hope your not as excited as you seem in the title of the thread. This is clearly fake.
  8. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lmao.

Good one Broad Street.
  9. shmity

shmity New Member

Sure as hell aint fake! Down here in australia you can unlock your phone as well. Most providers charge money, some have a time requirement, and all will do it for free once your contract is over/paid out.
  10. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    http://www.boinng.com/node/3567

Apparently, the answer to this age old question is: just ask nicely.
    In most places around the world the iPhone is sold "locked" to one exclusive network in each country - in the US it's AT&T, in the UK it's O2, and so on - and removing that sim lock to use the phone on another network has been officially impossible - the only way to do it is by "jailbreaking" your phone using various unauthorised means and, generally going against Apple's will. The only "legal" way to have an unlocked iPhone is to buy one (at great expense) from a country where sim locking is itself illegal, and Apple have to sell them officially unlocked.
    But not any more. According to one Finnish blogger, when he paid off the entire value of his two year contract in order to upgrade to a new iPhone 3GS he asked for his old phone to be unlocked, and his network asked Apple to supply this. The next time he connected the phone to itunes, it downloaded and installed a "carrier settings update" which permanently unlocked the phone to all networks.
    This sets an interesting new precedent for other iPhone owners who may be nearing - or past - the end of their contract, and proves that it is possible to have an official unlock for the phone. It may also open up the possibility of a neater, easier jailbreaking solution, since these "carrier settings updates" have been spoofed before to enable internet tethering for one. More on the Reg

More...
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/24/iphone_legit_unlock_finland/