Offical "How do you save battery" Thread

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by keepup, Mar 31, 2008.

1. keepup

keepup New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, what are some of your ways of saving battery power??

Of course I turn my brightness to almost the lost amount possible and I also turn auto brightness off.

Care to share?

Cause sharing is caring!!
  2. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Kinda standard:

1- Turn brightness to lowest possible unless watching vid or playing a game
    2- Turn Wifi Off

I guess the one that most people don't notice is:

3- Make sure you occasionally allow it to fully deplete at least once in maybe two weeks or so to help maximize battery life.

4- Use the iPod more for it's purpose than the extra functionality. Internet browsing is great, but a killer in battery life. Games and jailbreaking are great, but more icons, more apps, more battery drain. Best way to go is probably to keep your iPod unjailbroken.

5- Store your iPod in warmer temperatures. Lithium ion batteries like warm temperatures. It keeps them happy.
  3. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

wow you really do know your sh*t.

Please Register or Log in to view images

well i always keep SSH off, brightness low, wifi off, music volume low, stand by as much as possible.

i wanted to make a thread on this asking for battery life tips but i thought a million ppl would complain about it.
  4. HotBrownies

HotBrownies New Member

sorry but i dont get how letting it drain is good for it
  5. keepup

keepup New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  6. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

should i use auto-brightness? Would it be constantly drain the battery by adjusting?
  7. THaToNeGuY

THaToNeGuY New Member

sometimes the lithium ion battery's connection with the iPod gets sh*tty so you let it drain to make the iPod say omg theres a battery or something.. someone else try to explain this in plain english

i charge my everyday all night...

--tips

Drain battery once in a while
    SSH -OFF
    WiFi -OFF
    Brightness - 1-6% is what i do

Please Register or Log in to view images

I try not to watch videos
    try not to display white?? i dont know lol

and i think leaving it locked when not inused is better (for short times)
    i think this goes back to the leaving a lamp on is it better or not?
  8. twindragons

twindragons Banned

i thought that if u store it in warm temperatures, it will damage the battery? it said so in the manual dont store in temp over 113 degree F. i keep my at room temperature, is that very good?
  9. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Regarding SSH turned off, it really doesn't matter because if you have Wifi turned off, SSH is off too. The main reason why people claim SSH as a battery life hog is because it has a continuous listener that uses the Wifi in order to scan around. However, if your Wifi is off, the SSH can scan all it wants, but it is just executing a command that doesn't do anything since your Wifi is turned off. So really, it makes practically has no effect to your battery life at all. Even people say it does, it really is less than 0.0000001%, so you won't know the difference. The iPod Touch has MUCH more features that take up much more processing.

In terms of letting the battery drain all the way, it ensures that the next time you charge, you will get a full charge maximizing the amount of juice. Better explained in an example:

SITUATION A
    Day 1:
    A user first buy's his iPod takes it out, battery life is at 100%, he uses it for some time throughout the day and battery goes down to 68%. He then plugs the battery into the charger when he comes home, sleeps.

Day 2:
    The user then wakes up, sees his iPod is "fully charged" to 100%, however in reality, the amount of power that he can use in his iPod is 99%, even though it shows 100% on his iPod. He then uses his iPod more so it runs down to 68% again, then goes home and plugs it into the charger.

Day 3: He wakes up, sees his iPod is "fully charged" to 100% power, however in reality, the amount of power that he can use in his iPod is 97%, even though it shows 100% on his iPod.

--------------------------------------

SITUATION B
    Day 1:
    A user first buy's his iPod takes it out, battery life is at 100%, he uses it for some time throughout the day and battery goes down to 68%. He then sets the iPod on the table unplugged and sleeps.

Day 2:
    The user then wakes up, sees his iPod is 68%. He then uses his iPod more so it runs down almost all the way to near empty (5% or so). He then plugs it into his charger.

Day 3: He wakes up, sees his iPod is "fully charged" to 100% power, however in reality, the amount of power that he can use in his iPod is 99.99999%-100%, even though it shows 100% on his iPod.

--------------------------------------

Of course the actual figures vary, though as you can see, you maximize your battery life when you drain your battery almost all the way every once in a while. Otherwise, over time, you will notice a difference, even if it may be slight. The ideal would be to always let it drain out all the way, but it would be impractical if your using it everyday and waking up one day to take your iPod to school with 38% battery life just to make sure it runs down is kinda inconvenient, which is why you don't have to do it often. The reason why Apple recommends letting the battery drain all the way the first time you use the iPod is because it is a FACT that lithium ion batteries gradually decrease in battery life depending on number of charge cycles and usage, which is typically around a year or two if you seriously use it like, every day. Though it shouldn't matter much for the average user. By draining the battery life early on in the life of your iPod Touch, you are essentially allowing it to store a greater charge in the long run and sets the standard of where the actual 100% is on your iPod Touch. Though of course the difference in storing the charges may be minimal at first and varies, in the long run, differences will be more apparent.
  10. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You should only deplete it once every 30 or so charges; and its purpose is not to help prolong the battery life, but to recalibrate your device's measurements (your ipod touch/iphone might incorrectly think you're "out of juice" if you don't deplete it once every now and then).

For details, wikipedia's entry for this is quite accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_ion#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life