Off to a wonderful start... (Refuses to sync)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1up, Nov 19, 2007.

1. 1up

1up New Member

Just bought an iPod touch today, from our local Circuit City. I brought it home and connected it to the computer, and iTunes recognized it after opening. I registered it, turned off autosync, and dragged my first playlist to it.

6 songs later, I get this error message:

"Attempting to copy to the disk [iPod name] failed. The device timed out."

followed immediately by

"The iPod [iPod name] cannot be synced. The device timed out." (This one comes twice in a row.)

I've tried everything I can think of. I even took it back and exchanged it, and now I only got like 3 songs on before it did the same thing.

The screen just displays "Sync in progress." With the "slide to cancel" slider below the battery meter.

Oh, and every time I connect it asks me to register it again -_-

So... Right now all I've got is a fairly expensive, tiny internet device. Haha.

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks =3

*EDIT*

I just tried again and it gave me a message similar to the others ,except it mentioned not being able to find the correct disk.

I don't think it's the iPod touch so much that it's my family's computer (Windows XP, SP 2) not being able to recognize it.... (Normally I'd do this on my own computer, but for some reason it's having trouble with Service Pack 2. Yes, I use Windows. Yes, it's evil. I'm moving to Linux as soon as I get a better computer.)
  2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    What operating system are you using on your computer?
  3. 1up

1up New Member

Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

I should also mention that I registered that first iPod that I ended up taking back...
    Now, during the registration, it can't read this one's serial number. Also, on the main "iPod" info page in iTunes, both the Software Version and Serial Number are "n/a".

Should I do a restore on the iPod touch? (Keep in mind, this didn't work for the first iPod touch... It gave me two different errors (6 and 18) and completely messed it up.)
  4. Cybercoach

Cybercoach New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've had similar problems in the past and it turned out to be an iTunes issue. Have you tried re-installing iTunes?