Odd Wifi problem...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blackjays24, Jun 4, 2010.

1. blackjays24

blackjays24 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, so I'm up stairs, handy of my router. My internet wifi on my iPod works fine and I have your standard 192.168.0.*** IP address and yada yada yada. But when I go down stairs where there is a computer hooked up to another router (my ipod is still connected to the same internet though) all of a sudden the internet will NOT work and the IP goes to like a weird 169.254.4*.*** just a really weird IP. And the subnet mask changes to 255.555.0.0 and no Router or DNS appear and it says wifi is still connected but if you try to load a webpage the screen goes kinda grey and makes the loading signal and you basically can't do anything.

It use to work, no problem. I've tried forgetting the network and renewing the lease and shutting my iPod off and turning it back on and things of that matter but it doesn't seem to work.

I've never really heard of this problem, does anybody have an answer?
  2. Blade19

Blade19 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    when an adress starts out with 169 that means your only seeing the outside which most likely means that you are just too far away from your router
  3. blackjays24

blackjays24 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That sounds like it's most likely what is going on. Maybe a stupid question, but is there any way to fix this besides going closer? Because as I said, it has worked in the past.
  4. Zedoack

Zedoack Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Err... I think an IP that starts with 169 is one that windows gives out. Could be possible if you've got an AdHoc network running off the computer, and the iPod is trying to connect through that.

It would probably do that if your router signal went too low to connect, or if once your iPod sees the AdHoc network, that is taking priority.
  5. blackjays24

blackjays24 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That could be it as well. Is there any way around this?
  6. Zedoack

Zedoack Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm really not familiar with AdHoc networks... But try to find the setting on your computer, and turn it off. Your iPod shouldn't connect to it then if this is the case.
    You could also try just going into Settings > WiFi and then look through the available networks. If you see your router on that list while downstairs, try to connect to that one again, if not, the signal probably just goes too low to connect, when that far away.