observation/theory about 2nd gen/ firewire charging issue and accessories

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bassking511, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bassking511

bassking511 New Member

Hi,
    ive been researching about the 2nd gen touch since want to purchase one very soon, however, like many i have an old charger/stereo dock which i was not sure if it would work. I currently own a 4th gen B/W 20g ipod and an ihome ih26 (ihome2go). i learned about the issue of apple discontinuing charging via firewire (12v) protocol and i was concerned if my ihome would charge the new itouch.

i searched online to no avail and i then realized a way to test my ihome. I recalled the diagnostics mode that you can enter for the ipod.
    for those who dont know, here it is
    http://www.finseth.com/parts/ipod.php

after browsing though, i came upon the STATUS option and realized it tell you how your ipod is currently being charged

excluding the other information, you should see the following readout when the ipod is unplugged

WOFWPW -without firewire power
    WOUSBPW- without usb power

when i plugged into my wall adaptor, which uses firewire,
    the display changed to
    WFWPW
    WOUSBPW

meaning it shows that the ipod is being charged via firewire

and when i plugged into my iHome, the readout changed to
    WOFWPW
    WUSBPW

meaning my ihome was indeed supplying power via USB protocol (5v)

as a result, i discovered a way to (presumably) test if the accessory with charge my soon-to-be 2nd gen touch.

i cannot guarantee that this is 100% accurate, but based on my results, it looks very promising.

anyone care to comment?
  2. noamhir

noamhir Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nope..

Lol just kidding..

Please Register or Log in to view images

but, I realy couldn't understand why you think you discovered something so revoulutionary, all you did is to find another way to check if the device is able to charge 2gen ipod touch..

I did the same by googling the name of the device and adding the phrase "charge ipod touch 2g".
    And i did not feel that euphric at all.
  3. bassking511

bassking511 New Member

well, for one, googling does not always answer the question, i tried.That is especially true if you own an older or less common model of speaker, etc. BTW, i never said it was revolutionary, all i did was provide a logical way to test your accessory before you get a 2g touch. i dont get the negativity...
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But, to do this you need a normal ipod, that is, not a iPod Touch or iPhone...

=[
  5. bassking511

bassking511 New Member

yes, true
    but it you already have the iphone or touch and the old speaker, you will have already tried. this is really only helpful for people, like me, who have older equipment and are trying to find out compatibility before they buy.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. ironman_stittsville

ironman_stittsville New Member

Sigh, well if you are sooooo smart NOAMHIR then why don't you add something to this forum other than "you should google it". Very original by the way. Why are you so enthusiastic about making this suggestion? All I do is "yahoo" it. Did you think of that?

Here is my addition: The rest of the enlightened world spells "euphric" this way: "euphoric".

Rh.