Nvidia = ATI

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by SHININGSTEEL, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

Both companies produce quality cards, just some models are cheaper and/or better than each other. It's all about the benchmarks, not where the card was made. For Instance, the ATI 4850 outperforms the 9800GTX and is way cheaper. However, Nvidia dominates ATI's higher-end cards with its GTX 260 and above series. I could go on. My point is that when it comes to GPU the brand is worthless. People who continue to base their purchasing decisions on whether the GPU is an Nvidia or not will continue cheat themselves out of better performance.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Though Nvidia does provide an advantage to hackers sorta. The CUDA Platform is really appealing. Using that powerful ass GPU to do other tasks is quite useful. Especially if you can integrate that CUDA platform into Video conversion, that would be sweet. Some ATI cards have it's own Video converter, but it doesn't support a lot of those more "Out There" formats. Its not just about gaming anymore for Video cards.
  3. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

Video conversion is a necessity for many but it shouldn't be the main factor when choosing a video card.
  4. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Neither is gaming :\ Things are changing. More and more applications are utilizing the GPU for doing other processes. Like on Mac OS X, Photoshop CS4 uses the GPU. I think Adobe Premiere also uses the GPU on Windows. The GPU is becoming a more versatile product now. When you get a GPU, you should also decide what you're going to actually do with it, aside from gaming.
  5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Somebody needs more attention, how cute.
  6. Led

Led Banned

Lol, so true.
  7. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm kind of waiting for nvidia to give us another 8800 like card that blows everything else away, not a lousy 10% here and another 5 in the next card, and so on.

Anyway, isn't it going to come back to one decision? Creating a piece of general purpose or special puprose hardware. Right now the GPUs are headed into the general puprose direction with physics, sound and much more being outsourced from the CPU to the "GPU" or GeneralPurposeGPU or whatever it's gonna be next.

Like Intel's Larrabee, being made of x86 CPUs could certainly help with the general purpose part, but that also means it probably wont be as good at doing just rasterized graphics.
    Will we eventually have a x86 or even x64 general purpose extension card that does sound, raytracing, physics and whoknows what for us, plus a dedicated GPU, with again general purpose applications?
  8. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

Well as far as I'm concerned ATI GPUs work just as well with general purpose applications. CUDA is just a proprietary piece of software used to benefit Nvidia. General purpose applications go beyond that.
  9. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thats the thing. ATI doesn't have anything for Developers to access ATI's GPU. Nvidia does with CUDA.
  10. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

They are the same, but i like nvidia better. I have the Nvidia Geforce 9400M in my mac.