Noticed something about the screen...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bahamutspirit, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    ...I was outside today, and the sunlight was strong... VERY STRONG. It was so strong that my iPad, which never gave me any sort of warning, was telling me to stop using it until it cooled down.

So needless to say, killer sun. And it was bright, so sunlight readability of the screen was almost zero... if looked at directly, that was. I tilted the device a bit so as to not get the sun glare in my eyes, and noticed that when I viewed the device at a 45-degree slant instead of a straight look, the screen became much clearer and texts were very readable as opposed to the usual "dim" look when I view it directly at a 90-degree view (staring at the screen directly). I was so surprised that I kept on trying different things with the device until it overheated, which was about 20 minutes or so after exposure.

Did anyone experience anything like that? The texts seemed to "float" off the screen slightly if anything. I could see shadows behind them and the UI elements...
  2. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This effect is caused by the glass "screen" not being right up against the LCD like it is on the ipod touch and iphone. If you look at your own reflection in the glass, you'll notice that you're seeing double. It's because it's reflecting off both the glass, and the glass layer on the LCD behind the glass. Look at it from an angle indoors, and you can easily see how much of a gap there is between the screen and the LCD.
  3. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    It's not like that. What I am seeing is another layer right after the LCD layer. My reflection off the screen is fine.