Notes are not working properly after 3.0 update

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by aaaashley, Jul 1, 2009.

1. aaaashley

aaaashley New Member

Since the update to 3.0, my Notes have not worked properly. I had 3 active notes. Two, I've tried to close and can't. One, I can't access at all. I also can't save a new note, it kicks me out to the home screen if I try to. I also get kicked back to the home screen when I try to access my third active note. Anyone else experience this? Also, I already did a complete Restore and all that did was delete all my songs. My notes remained the same after the system restore.
  2. treminaor

treminaor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Navigate to "\var\root\Library\Notes\" on your iPod and delete the file "notes.db". Then the notes should disappear and your problem should be solved.

If you do not know how to navigate your iPod, download DiskAid, open the program, and plug in your iPod. In the bottom left corner click the drop down box and choose "Root". Click OK in the warning that pops up. Now navigate to the location specified above.
  3. aaaashley

aaaashley New Member

Thank you so much for the reply! I was losing hope that there's anyway to get rid of this annoyance...

However, when I click on the Root option, it says "Sorry, you need to have a Jailbroken device to view the root partition." My device is not Jailbroken, and, sorry to be such an amateur, but I don't really know how to do that/if I should...I really want my Notes fixed, though. What would you suggest?
  4. treminaor

treminaor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hmm. Well, the only other way to approach it is to delete your backup of your iPod from iTunes, and restore again. Then you will have to resync all of your music and apps, but it will not have any Notes to sync. But, before you do that, if you have turned on Notes syncing in iTunes, you will have to turn it off. Now, to start the restore process, do this: Open iTunes and plug your iPod in. If you are on a Mac, go to iTunes>Preferences. If you are on Windows, go to Tools>Options. Go to the devices tab. Click every backup with your name on it and click the Delete Backup button. Now, restore your iPod using the Restore button. It will erase all the data on your iPod, including the Notes. After it is done restoring, you may sync your iPod with iTunes. It will put all your music, movies, and apps back on your iPod, but the Notes will be gone.
  5. aaaashley

aaaashley New Member

That worked! Thank you so much, honestly! I really appreciate it.

However...I do have another question, if you don't mind. Since restoring, everything is in working order except my gmail account. For the life of me, I can't get it to work, even though it's worked perfectly for nearly the past year. I keep getting the following messages:

"Cannot connect using SSL, do you want to try without using SSL?"

When I say yes...

"The IMAP server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding"...

I've searched online, but nothing I've found has helped. Can you spare some more advice?
  6. treminaor

treminaor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    All I can do is tell you the settings that are currently working for me:

Open Settings on your iPod/iPhone and go to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars". Now, at the top of the next screen, tap your account that is not working. (*****@gmail.com). Now, from top to bottom, I will tell you the settings you should have:

Account: ON
    Name: Your name, does not matter what you put here
    Address: This is your gmail address. (something@gmail.com)
    Password: This is the password to your gmail account.
    Description: It does not matter what you put here
    SMTP: smtp.gmail.com

Now click Advanced at the bottom.
    Drafts Mailbox: Drafts
    Deleted Mailbox: Trash
    Use SSL: ON
    Authentication: Password
    IMAP Path Prefix: /
    Server Port: 993

With those settings, you should be good to go.
  7. aaaashley

aaaashley New Member

Those are pretty much identical to my settings, as in...there are a few other settings on mine, but all those match up. Still no dice. Thanks so much for trying to help, though. It seems I am the iPod Touch's downfall, lol.
  8. treminaor

treminaor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So all the settings in the advanced section are identical to mine?
  9. aaaashley

aaaashley New Member

Yep.

I did a little extra searching and tried this advice, from this site:

It seemed to open things up, at least it allowed me to download messages from my gmail account for the inital time. I'm still a little wary, though. I don't know why it would have this issue.

Edit: Now that I refresh, it won't check for new email. I'm getting the same error.