Notebook w/ very strange behavior

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by iAppleTechGuru, Jan 14, 2010.

1. iAppleTechGuru

iAppleTechGuru Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My laptop is about 5-6 years old.
    Its a Compaq Presario V2000, and one day, I went to reformat and reinstall.

I booted from my Windows disk, and went through the clean install process. I deleted the partiton, and then went to format it with NTFS, and I chose the NOT QUICK option. About 20% through it locked up and froze.

... So I restarted and then I booted from the disk again and it wouldnt get past the "Searching for previous versions of Windows". So I was like, oh, great, here we go.

Then I dug through a bunch of sh*t and finally found an offline bootable gParted disk, so I used that to reformat the partition, once again, I tried to boot from the Windows disk.

Being stuipid, I decided to try the full format rather than the quick one, and the same thing happened. I went through the whole gParted process again, and then after I chose a quick option, and actually got through to the install.

It was a modified version of Windows, called something like Black Edition (relax, its not a pirated OS, I paid for mine), and I'm using my product key. Anyway, after the install I had to deal with some BSOD's about Bad Sectors and unmountable boot volumes, but after a few restarts, they vanished.

Now this is the strange part.
    Whenever I boot my computer, its fast as a bullet upon startup, but then like after a few mins after boot it slows down a ton, freezes up completely, then after its initial "warmup period", which is like 10 mins of not letting me do anything, its fast again, and I have no problems with it.

Anyone got any ideas? ... Sorry for the essay.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Bad sectors is your hard drive going bad. And it being 5-6 years old I wouldn't doubt it.
  3. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    FYI Black Edition is a special non US version i believe. Was made specialy to not have some components and abide with some laws that other contries have regarding software.

As for your problem, keep in mind the non-quick version of the microsoft format is just that, not quick, it takes a very long time, trust me. What you are likely missing is your key drivers. Go to HP/Compak's website and download all the appropriate drivers for your model number, you should have a service tag or code to put in on their site and get all you need. Most importantly the motherboard or bridge/kernel drivers. These help the motherboard harware communicate with the rest of the parts.
  4. iAppleTechGuru

iAppleTechGuru Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, this is true. I do have some missing hardware but could it be the cause of the strange behavior. I have the same OS running on my Dell Dimension 3000 256MB RAM which runs EXTREMELY fast. I swear to god you'd think that computer has 2GB RAM. I dont understand why a slightly newer laptop would be running so crappy.

It MUST have something to do with the sectors, right? Obviously it couldnt get passed the certain percentage of the thorough format.

... But I'll do what you said and go install my drivers, see if that does anything.

Thanks for the help.