Not-so-random hardware problems, seemingly initiated by software

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sman789, Jul 19, 2010.

1. sman789

sman789 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    There are several problems with my iPod Touch 2nd Gen (old bootrom version) that I cannot understand the cause of:

1. The touchscreen will stop responding to touches after anywhere from 5 seconds to many minutes after unlocking it - the buttons still work fine though so I assume it is the touch screen. Locking then unlocking it fixes any freezes. It also fixes itself after a few minutes of being left on. Of course, it then freezes again later - sometimes before you can even slide the "Slide to unlock" button but sometimes not for half an hour of use.

I have restored and re-jailbroken the iPod (with Blackra1n) and the problem still remaines (though the touchscreen tends to freeze after much longer periods now). What I don't understand is why if it were a hardware problem, a software lock and unlock would fix it - and also why the screen does start and stop working (if it were broken then surely it would just never work at all). Of course - if it were a software problem then a restore should cure it completly, not just make the problem a little better. Almost makes me think it's a virus or something.

2. Another problem is that the volume up command seems to be triggered for about ten seconds (almost instantly turning up anything I am listening to to full volume, which is painful

Please Register or Log in to view images

) at not-so-random times. It only seems to happen when the iPod is unlocked and I am doing something - I never unlock it and find the volume is on full. This also makes me think it may be a virus - especially as there does not appear to be anything wrong with the button. Also - if there were a physical problem with the button then why would it only occasionally trigger it and not always be pressed down?

Also, the battery life of my iPod seems to be much less than usual, which might suggest something running in the background (or just the hardware falling to pieces).

Has anyone had a similar experience or knows of some funky virus going around - but I don't have SSH installed so it must be something even funkier... All these problems have been around for at least a month or two now, so it's fair to say it's not just a bit of moisture in the buttons or the screen or anything temporary like that. Thankyou for any help you may be able to offer

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT - When I restored it, I did not use the "Recovery mode" on the iPod, I just went to iTunes and pressed "Restore" (shift-restore to be entirely correct). Are these methods any different and do I need to try the recovery mode method as well?
  2. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    did you try DFU mode?
  3. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He already restored once, I don't think DFU would do anything...

I doubt it is a virus, it is probably a hardware problem. My friend dropped his iPhone and the Volume went out of control, it sometimes rised to full volume automatically. Not sure about the touch screen... Maybe MobileSubstrate apps caused it to freak out?
  4. sman789

sman789 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I just don't understand why if it were a totally random hardware problem it would be no not-random. Like surely if it was a physical problem with the volume button, the volume would always be on full when I go to my iPod because it would have pressed whilst it was locked. But it seems to only press a few seconds after I unlock it, and it seems even more frequent in the music app than in others. If it were a malicious program then it might not be able to run when the iPod is locked (just like App Store apps get frozen).

And with the touch screen, if it were a physical problem then why would locking/unlocking reset it? And if it were software then why would restore not fix it... it just doesn't make any sense to me.