Not quite restored.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wearmaize, Mar 11, 2008.

1. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i managed to stupidly freeze my ipod and nothing i could do to fix it. So i put it in recovery abd restored. Then i chose 1.1.1 and finally, restore from backup. What i noticed is that my carrier stayed the same as before (goblu) as did my wallpaper (which was previously in my "camera roll.") obviously a restore is not perfect!
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, when you backed up, what firmware was it?

Also, keep track of what gets backed up.
  3. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    OK, this is what I've seen so far; I was on 1.1.1 and restored to 1.1.1.
    - My carrier is modded
    - My wallpaper, which was in my ipod's "Camera roll" is the same, although I don't have a camera roll anyomre
    - When I installed 1.1.1 Mail, it was already set up for me. Messages downlaoded and all.
    - Weather (which IDK if it's a native 1.1.1 ipod touch app) had my two cities programmed in already.

However, other things like ttr asked me to enter my name so it could publish scores online.

The interesting thing is that you resotre completely first, and then choose "make this ipod a backup of 'ipodname?'" And it restores settings from 3rd party apps!

I have previously been on all firmware versions, with the app pack.
  4. full1

full1 New Member

the same thing happened to me I installer itransmogify from installer I restored my Ipod and still had every single bookmarklets, and the wallpaper I installer from installer was still on my screen..
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    and now touchpad pro remembers my vpn settings
  6. dwonder3

dwonder3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    When you restore it does not change your setting for other apps (ones from installer) and carrier images. It just changes the most important files
  7. JustinCarpenter

JustinCarpenter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No, actually, it restores everything, making the iPod like it was when it came out of the box. But, before it restores, it saves a backup of key settings (language, wallpaper, contacts, etc.) and puts that all back on. So, it does change ALL files, it just puts back certain settings.
  8. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    So if i restored there would still be jailbreak files on my computer?
  9. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

iTunes backs up your personal data preferences from var/mobile/Library or var/root/Library depending on your firmware every time you sync the ipod, if jailbreak apps store their preferences in these locations then they will be backed up at the same time, and then when you restore put back in the relevant location. You would not know the files are there until you reinstall the application by Jailbreaking and then installing it from installer or manually adding it by ssh.

Preferences of Jailbreak apps would be on your computer and ipod after restore from a jailbreak, but not the actual applications you installed after jailbreak.
  10. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That's interesting. Thanks for clearing stuff up.