Not another Noob!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Recon, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Recon

Recon New Member

Hi everybody!

This is a great site with a lot of helpfull topics, but i gotta say it really aint newbie friendly!
    by that i mean not all of us know a thing about, hacking, ftp'ing, and ssh'ing.

Also, explain what all the apps are and what they do, because most of the apps i've downloaded i aint got a clue where they are or what they do!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Like Python for example!!!

It would be really helpfull if somebody could really clarify these issues for the dumbf***s like me!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Cheers guys, keep up the great work!!!
  2. 3CKO

3CKO New Member

oh great more noobies

lol welcome and enjoy!!
  3. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Go to the iPod Touch Wiki. Most Apps by now are working or semi working, and have a description to what they do.
  4. Recon

Recon New Member

But it doesnt describe what the apps do!
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

If, before you install an app, you tap on the "More info" section in Installer, it will bring up exactly what it advertises: more information. If you read through the more information section and you still don't understand, then you shouild not install that app.

Python, for example, is a programming language. The app in Installer called Python is, and I quote Installer, a "Python runtime environment."

As far as newbie friendliness goes, I think the site is pretty good. If sombody wants information on what to do, then the answers are all in the archive. People don't need to know that SFTP is a wireless file transfer protocol that operates via ssh. If they are curious, then there's always google or the wikipedia.

As long as people follow the steps given, they should have no problem. For example, I just typed up a walk through for my brother on how to Jailbreak his iPod, that he followed and had NO problems. Does he have any idea that PuTTY is a terminal emulator that is designed to use SSH? Does he even know what SSH is? Does he know what sftp, or even ftp is? What about premissions? The answers are no. He didn't need to. He just followed the directions. "ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications" You don't need to know what that means.
    (Create a symbolic '-s' link 'ln' in the current folder to '/private/var/Applications' and call that link 'Applications')

The attitude people have is not anti newbie. It's against those that can'e be assed to search the forum. People's answers have most likely been asked and answered dozens of time already.
  6. Rawd

Rawd New Member

When I first came to this site a little over a month ago, I knew nothing about the Ipod, jailbreaking, ssh, etc.... There are lots of people on this forum who have taken the time to answer questions, write tutorials, make videos, etc.. I really think it is an amazing community. Sometimes (myself included) people simply answer a question with "use the search feature". As this can seem to come off rude, it is actually helping you. If you learn to use the search and as SkylarEC says, use Google, you will find that you don't need to be a programmer, or even smart for all that matter (I'm proof), to be able to jailbreak and use SSH. You just need to be able to have the patience to follow instructions. When someone comes across rudely in the forum, it is probably because the same question has been asked 100 times already.