Nooby alert!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RedHatNate, Aug 1, 2008.

1. RedHatNate

RedHatNate New Member

Hey, I'm Nate and i Just bought an ipod touch 16gb.
    I need some help, as I am not very knowledgeable in hacking it.

I know you need to jailbreak it, but that is about it

Please Register or Log in to view images

this is what I want my touch to do:
    I first off need to jailbreak it: I am not sure on the firmware; as I am getting it tommorrow, but is there a universal jailbreaking method?

1. I want all my music on it, im assuming you can still put your itunes music on it after jailbreak?
    2. I want the piano and guitar apps
    3. I want Aol Instant messenger
    4. Nintendo Entertainment system [NES] [I also need to know how to install games]
    5. Can I set a background on it?
    6. Something I can use for Gmail,
    7. A sketch pad that can save notes.
    8. Beer and popcorn apps.
    9. PlayStation one emulator, if possible... [need to know where to put the ISO's as well]
    10.the map system or something that uses the multi touch feature to show off. =P
    So Will I be able to have these on my ipod? and will there be an icon for each app on the main screen of my ipod?

Thanks so much for your help, and if you could put numbers before each instruction on how to install it, I would be very greatfull.
    I am not quite sure how all this works, but I am willing to work at it, and given instruction, get the most out of my ipod touch =)

Thanks so much in advance!

-Nate
    EDIT: And one more thing: how much room should I save for the youtube, and internet?
  2. akki007

akki007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The answers to all those questions are in these forums. Just search for them.
  3. schloegi

schloegi New Member

if akki is not willing to help, then i will

to jailbreak your ipod use winpwn (or pwnage tool if you're on a mac)
    quite easy to use, there some tuts around here how to use it
    and it doesn't matter which firmware since it can jailbreak all of them

1. yes you can
    2. through app store (on 2.0)
    3. through app store (on 2.0)
    4. through cydia (like the appstore, comes with the jailbreak)
    5. for 1.1.x yes with customize, for 2.0 not yet
    6. mail.app it is already installed on your touch and it supoorts gmail
    7. notes.app is also insatlled (only typeing), or sketches form appstore (3 bucks)
    8. ipint i think ... not sure
    9. on 1.1.x it was slow as hell, just search for a tut
    10. maps is also pre installed on your touch

youtube and safari are also pre installed on your ipod, so no need for worries

hope I could help
  4. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Nice job. I wanted to help, but was too lazy.
  5. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Quite a tall order you got there, so let's get started

Jailbreak
    -Refer to this guide here. The universal method for the new firmware 2.0 is "pwning". This allows the iPod and iTunes to accept custom firmwares, boot logos and Cydia app which installs the 3rd party apps.
    *Assumes you are on Windows, and will be going to 2.0

Questions
    1) Yes, after the jailbreak, all your music and other media will sync and work just fine.
    Remember that jailbreaking allows 3rd party apps to be installed on the iPod. It will be side by side with Apple's AppStore.

2) The apps will be available on the AppStore. There are methods to "crack" the apps and obtain them for free but you will need to get the info from others or use Google.

3) This app is available for free via the AppStore.

4) Through the app Cydia (which installs all of these applications) for free.

5) Right now, only lock screen wallpaper is supported. A background on the home screen (where the icons are) aren't possible with Customize.app. It is coming though, so be patient.

6) Mail.app which comes with firmware 2.0 stock. Info on setup here

7) Notes.app which is default on 2.0

8) Available with the AppStore for a price.

9) psx4iphone. It is being ported by the talented dev, zodttd.

10) Maps.app. Default on 2.0.
    *Each will have an icon.

For the room, question. They are all default apps so no effort by you is necessary

NES/PSX Apps (ROMs)
    *These will both require SSH.
    1) Install OpenSSH from Cydia (Will not have an icon, but it's there)
    2) Install the app BossPrefs in order to toggle SSH and on and off.
    3) Reboot the iPod
    4) Look at these two guides for further instruction.
    SSH and Commands
    Setup of WinSCP
    *Remember to go into Settings and set Auto-lock to never when you SSH into the iPod mainly because when it locks, wifi will turn off thus you cannot SSH.
    (SSH requires active wifi. If you do not have Wifi then look at the first link above and it'll guide you to other clients)

-Now for the Roms

(On 2.0, the frameworks are different and I haven't tried it out yet but I'm assuming it's the same. If not, another kind user will correct me)
    1) Download each emulator (This case, NES and psx4iphone)
    2) Download ROMs for each emulator. Google will help once more

3) SSH into the iPod
    4) Navigate to var/mobile/Media
    5) Right-click in an open space, and select new directory which will make a new folder.
    6) Name it ROMs
    *Case-sensitive
    7) Double Click, the ROMs folder.
    File Path: var/mobile/Media/ROMs
    8) Right click-->Select a New Directory
    9) The folders will be
    NES
    PSX

var/mobile/Media/ROMs/NES
    var/mobile/Media/ROMs/PSX
    10) Drag and drop the ROMs to each corresponding folder.Remember that ISOs can be multiple files and must all be in the PSX folder in order to play the game.
    *ISOs to var/mobile/Media/ROMs/PSX
    NES Roms to var/mobile/Media/ROMs/NES
    11) Right-click each individual file, select properties, and then type in 755 in order to change permissions.
    -That's it.

PSX Emu
    *In order to run, the PSX emulator requires a BIOs file.
    1) Download scph1001.bin, via Google once more

2) SSH into the iPod
    3) Drag the file to /Applications/psx4iphone
    ^^I believe this is the file path for 2.0
    4) Right-click the file, select properties, and then change permissions to 755 by typing 755.

That's it.
    I'll PM you extra info

-Apparently I was a little late xD
  6. schloegi

schloegi New Member

Now thats what I call in depth ^^
    great guide x6blues
  7. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I know you need to jailbreak it, but that is about it

this is what I want my touch to do:
    I first off need to jailbreak it: I am not sure on the firmware; as I am getting it tommorrow, but is there a universal jailbreaking method? There is a Jailbreak for every firmware.

1. I want all my music on it, im assuming you can still put your itunes music on it after jailbreak? A: Yes, you are still able to put music on it as if it was a regular iPod touch which it still is.
    2. I want the piano and guitar apps A: Just look for them in Installer and download them. You might need the right firmware and source's though
    3. I want Aol Instant messenger A: Download Mobile Chat or Apollo. If you cannot find any go to Meebo.com or FlickIM.com in safari and use those.
    4. Nintendo Entertainment system [NES] [I also need to know how to install games] A: Again you need to download them all from installer and SSH roms in.
    5. Can I set a background on it? A : Yes, with customize 2.0 and Summerboard the possibilities are endless
    6. Something I can use for Gmail, A: If you go to your Mail application you can set your GMAIL up.
    7. A sketch pad that can save notes. A : Not sure what you mean by that, but there is a Notes Application.
    8. Beer and popcorn apps. A : Those are actually just video's people downloaded and uploaded. Not apps.
    9. PlayStation one emulator, if possible... [need to know where to put the ISO's as well] A : Same thing as the NES app.
    10.the map system or something that uses the multi touch feature to show off. =P
    So Will I be able to have these on my ipod? and will there be an icon for each app on the main screen of my ipod? A: Every one of them...

I hope I've helped and if there are more questions then search. To do this just click HERE
  8. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Thank you very much

@RedHatNate: If anything above confuses you or you have anymore questions, feel free to post or PM me.

Have fun with your iPod.
  9. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    FU*K MY POST, READ BLUES'S...

Good job.
  10. crazyvanya

crazyvanya Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Lol.
    Why not someone write a guide for 1.1.4? That doesn't really involve paying anything, unless you won't the iPhone apps from a repo or other cracked things...