Noobs guide to get 1.1.3 Summerboard Working 100% (detailed)(pictures) !! check it!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by gojohnnyboi, Feb 7, 2008.

1. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Ok This is a guide (simple) to get SummerBoard (SMBprefs) working fully(backrounds/themes/icons) in full on your jailbroken 1.1.3 iPod Touch/iPhone.

Before you even Start to look at this tutorial please make sure your jailbroken Version is 1.1.3! it should look similar to this in settings: version 1.1.3.jpg

You first need to download this file from [PIRACY.rs] to save a program to your computer called Putty. This will allow you to access your ipods files through SSH and give you a command prompt similar to iphuc. The rapid share link is: http://[PIRACY.rs].com/files/89503494/putty.exe.html Heres a picture of the download prompt: Download.jpg

After clicking the "save" button and choosing whichever destination you prefer( for me its desktop), you will have an icon that looks like/similar to this: Putty.jpg

You will now go to your ipod and launch the installer application. From here either scroll down to system and find SummerBoard or choose it from all packages. You must choose it (make sure not to try and download summerboard(old) because it will not download), and touch the install button in the top right. it will look similar to this: Install Summerboard.jpg

Hit the Home button: smbprefs.jpg and your springboard will restart. Now, launch SummerBoard(SMBprefs) and scroll to the very bottom. 9/10 times it will say v3.1(inactive). To activate Summerboard 3.1 what you do is hold the sleep/wake button on the top of the iPod until a red slider appears. slide it to shut the iipod down. wait for the circling loading indicator to dissapear and the screen will be black, therefore your ipod is off. Hold the sleep wake button again until the apple logo appears. This indicates that your ipod is rebooting. Once it turns back on launch Summerboard(SMBprefs) again and scroll to the bottom. It should be active and look something like this: active.jpg

If it does not, try reinstalling summerboard from installer.

From here your ready to start fixing SummerBoard!

Go into installer and install these things:

1. BSD Subsystem
    2. OpenSSH
    3. Services or NetServices

From there go back to the homescreen and Open Services or Netservices, whichever you installed earlier. From Here Make sure SSH is turned on!!ON!!! It will look like this: SSH on.jpg

Now, Open up Putty ( the newly installed program on your computer) and type in the IP address of your iPod/iPhone. this can be found by going to settings->wifi and touching the little blue arrow next to the wireless access point you have chosen for wifi. It will look like this: ip 1.jpg

After touching the blue arrow it will look like this, my IP address is blurred out: ip 2.jpg

After you have your IP address, go back to the putty program and Type it into the "host address" text bar. Also make sure SSH is selected under the text bar. it will look like this: Putty program.jpg Now hit open.

This will bring you to a black box and after a couple minutes or so a connection prompt will come up asking if you want to connect to your ipod. Click yes until it goes away. Now, in the black box it will say login as. You will type in root ( all lowercase) and hit enter. After that it will say password. Here you will type in alpine (again all lowercase) and hit enter ( it will not show you what your typing) It will look like this before Hitting enter after typing in the password: root.jpg

You will now copy the following code:

ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard /private/var/root/Library/SummerBoard

It will look like this: box 2.jpg
    After you've entered the code hit enter.

Nothing will happen except another # sign will come up indicating that your code worked and you are free to put in another code. You may now exit Putty.

Now, Using an FTP client, such as cute ftp pro, and ssh into your iPods files.This is done by going up to file, new sftp site, then putting in the ipods IP address and logging into it with the username root and password alpine. Once in navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app. Under the folders. change all the files's permissions to 755 and click ok. wait for it to be done. The permissions box will look similar to this: cute ftp.jpg

Now, for the last step:

Restart your ipod using the method listed earlier. Now boot it back up and launch installer. Go into Themes (SummerBoard) and download the theme of your choice. it will look like this: download theme.jpg

Now exit out of installer and your springboard will restart. Launch SMBprefs and touch theme. Now touch the theme of your choice and press the home button. The selection of themes will look similar to this: choose theme.jpg Reboot your ipod once more and when you boot it back up your theme will work 100%.(you only have to restart your ipod the first time you select a theme, then your good to go forever).

Lets review the steps once more:

1.Download Putty
    2.Install SummerBoard
    3.Restart iPod
    4.Install the necessary items from installer
    5.Turn SSH on
    6.Open Putty
    7.Enter your iPods IP address
    8.Log into your ipod using putty (root, alpine)
    9.Type in the code
    10.Exit Putty
    11.SSH into your ipod using FTP client ( i use cute ftp pro) (root, alpine)
    12.Change permissions of files below folders in springboard.app to 755
    13.Restart iPod
    14.Download theme of choice from installer
    15.Select theme in SMBprefs
    16.Restart iPod(last time needed to restore for the rest of your days using SummerBoard)
    16.There you go you have a theme on 1.1.3!!!

Here is a Screen shot of My jailbroken 1.1.3 ipod touch with the icons wiggling to prove it is running on 1.1.3!!!! And my custom made theme!!!!
    1.1.3 smb.jpg

Thats it folks, thats all there is to it, a simple 5-10 minute process.

Post with Questions, comments, ect. Thanks!

Hope this helps,

Gojohnnyboi
  2. cookiesnpie

cookiesnpie New Member

very nice guide. i hope there is no more threads on people asking how summerboard works
  3. gojohnnyboi

Feedback!

Thanks. If you do see any people asking that please direct them to this thread.

Also, viewers of this thread!

I would like your feedback on this guide! post what you thought of it here.

Thanks,
    Gojohnnyboi
  4. gojohnnyboi

bump ^ ftw =p
    1 person likes this.
  5. mambotango

mambotango New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Thanks a lot for this guide.

Btw, would you know if his would work if I do the same thing for Customize.app?
  6. gojohnnyboi

not really sure. currently working on a way to resolve the bugs in customize. im hoping to eventually make a package available for download in installer that will fix summerboard.
  7. gojohnnyboi

8. FlipJonesy

FlipJonesy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    When I use CuteFTP to go into system/library/coreservices/springboard.app you say to select everything below the folders, I don't see a group of folders together, they are all spread out throughout, can I just change the permissions of all the files in springboard.app to 755?

Edit: I look at the picture in your post and I think I understand, highlight everything but the folders and change permissions?

Also I did all that and it still says Summerboard is inactive
  9. adewey

adewey New Member

you know that there is a new summerboard that supports 1.1.3 right...
  10. tterminal

tterminal New Member

hi

I have two issues while doing this..

1. My summerboard never shows active
    2. I cant install services

I wonder y

Please Register or Log in to view images

??

FYI, i run 1.1.3 JB 16 Gig touch

Please Register or Log in to view images