[Noob] Um.. Where do I start?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by jayjay960, Apr 24, 2009.

1. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, so I've been looking at the whole iPod/iPhone developing thing and it seems pretty interesting. Now, I'm not a complete noob, I've done a bit of programming before, and I don't think it would be too hard for me to get the hang of Cocoa, but basically, I don't know what to use to write/compile it in. Here's the nooby bit. I know the iPhone SDK is available from the Apple website, but I don't know if the SDK is necessary for developing for the iphone. Basically I was wondering if there was a program I could use to create and compile apps that I can download without using up my entire month's internet usage. Can anyone help me here?
  2. Hero2

Hero2 New Member

Ahh, I see. What your looking for is BigBoss' toolchain. It is set of tools that was ported to iphone by BigBoss(some work was done by saurik as well). First you need a jailbroken ipod touch/iphone. Then within Cydia download OpenSHH, iPhone 2.0 Toolchain. Now with linux or Cygwin, install OpenSHH on your PC(im asuming you dont have a Mac). Using your PC, open a terminal/cmd prompt and run 'shh root@<ipaddress>'.you can find your ip address by openning your iphone's settings, click Wifi, then touch the > next to your router. Type the default password when prompted (alpine). Now you can browse your iphone's filesystem and use gcc for iphone.

OR go to http://code.google.com/p/iphone-dev/ (official google code page for toolchain -- mod please approve this) this tells you how to setup the toolchain on linux/mac. Pc is supported but does not build.

Other than those options, on a Mac it is way easier to use the official SDK.