Noob questions I 'd like answered before buying.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cappahayden, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Cappahayden

Cappahayden New Member

Hello all, new here of course and a complete noob, however after being briefly introduced to the 2G Touch by a friend on a business trip recently, I became 99% convinced it is the answer in making my day much easier for many reasons. I do have, a few basic questions for you that I would love answered prior to committing to a purchase. I believe they are so noobish that they can't be found anywhere, because everyone except me knows the answers to them. Anyway I'd greatly appreciate anyone taking the time to answer.

1. Can you listen to music while using another app? ( I do mean, on the same device of course)

2. I have heard that only credit cards can be used to purchase Apps on-line at the i-tunes store. Is this correct, or can I also use i-tunes money cards purchased from like Walmart to purchase Apps?

3. Can you at least with some of the productivity / business apps (ie a Calendar) install the same app on a PC laptop and sync the info between the touch and the PC?

4. (This one is really stupid perhaps but I have to know) I've only read that the device will connect to un-secure wireless nets.... In the case of a secure network, will it let you connect by entering the known code for that secure network?

5. How durable is it? Can it take a knock here or there? If I purchase one I plan on carrying it with me either in my pocket or in a pack-sack type briefcase all the time? Could it withstand a fall to a hardwood floor from a tabletop for instance?

I realize these questions are lame but thank you in advance for any info you can provide.
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1. Yes. MOST apps will let you listen to music while using them.

2. You can use iTunes cards. Just select 'None' as the payment option in iTunes.

3. I'm not completely sure about that, but I know with MobileMe you can sync calendars.

4. You can connect to secured networks with their key.

5. I STRONGLY recommend buying a case.
  3. Cappahayden

Cappahayden New Member

Thanks much Bubalooshi, for the answers that I was hoping to see. i just have to wait a few more days for them to roll into my neck of the woods and I'll have one. Thanks again.
    If anyone else could share their knowledge / experience with question 3 I'd love to hear it.
  4. tamachanusko

tamachanusko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Firstly, Welcome to Ipod Touch Fans Forum

Please Register or Log in to view images

1: It Depends on the Application Running... If it takes up alot of Ram ( A Big Complicated App ), The App will Crash when you try to play Music together with it.

2: Yes You are Correct, You can use Credit Cards and Itune Gift Cards.
    I think you can find Itune Cards in Walmart. * not so sure *

3: Don't know sorry

4: Yes, If you have the passkey to the Secured Wireless Connection, You can Connect to it and Surf the Internet.

5: I Suggest you get a case like the SwitchEasy Neo Touch, I have been using it for Months and i dropped my Ipod Touch many times.. On Hard Concrete Floor to Tiles.. nothing happened

it just Bounced. No Dent or Crack.
    Both Stylish and Protective. Just my Suggestion

5. Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    1) Yes you can and it's great to be able to do so.

2) You dont have to have a card. I used an iTunes gift card I got for christmas for $75 and it lasted me 6 months!

3) All I know is that if you have a Mac, the iPod calendar events will sync with your Mac calendar and I think that's the only Calendar app it can sync to. iTunes takes care of all of that. As for windows users I don't know. I think Apple made an iCalendar application for Windows, I don't remember. I had iCalendar a few years back but I dont know if Apple made it or if it'd sync with iTunes.

4)You can enter the codes directly from the iPod. Very simple to do.

5) I've dropped my iPod about 3 or 4 times on tile flooring and one time I accidentally flinged it across the room and it hit a wall. Didn't sound too good but when I pressed the home button all was good. (I Had a case on it and I suggest you get a screen protector and case). I believe there is a YouTube video testing the iPod's stress capabilities and they actually hit it with a hammer, broke the glass screen, and it was STILL functional evern with a broken screen.

I hope I helped.

6. TPedr0n

TPedr0n New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Most questions are answers but

#2 in Canada you can ONLY use credit card, no itunes cards. For the US i think itunes cards work

#3 If you download Documents 2 Go, the developers website has a program to sync word documents to and from your own computer
  7. Cappahayden

Cappahayden New Member

Thanks Tamachanusko, Ubeans2001, ans TPedr0n for the additional answers. Although I'm not too happy about not being able to use an iTunes card in Canada... I just hate having to drop my credit card number somewhere else, and I like being able to look up in the right hand corner of the itunes screen and seeing what my balance is. Can't have it all I guess. Thanks again everyone.