Noob questions about jailbreak -- take a look please

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by twerk, Oct 18, 2007.

1. twerk

twerk New Member

im gonna do the jailbreak

i dl the automatic version for windows... if somhow i screw up the "on screen instructions" (which i havent looked at) can i restore the ipod through itunes back to the way i bought it??

second thing is when there is an update for it.. how do u stop it from updating and/or can u update

third if u update does it screw the ipod up or just return it to factory defaults
    thanks in advance
  2. Robleton

Robleton New Member

1. Yes you can restore it back to the original through iTunes.
    2. You just don't update the ipod, it will ask if you want to and all you have to do is click no.
    3. I don't know for sure, but I think it just un does the jailbreak, and takes all those files off.
  3. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you do update with the jailbreak, it will usually eliminate all instances of the jailbreak as it reflashes your firmware and everything, but your media will still be preserved, however, problems may arise if the update simply just modifies files. 1.1.1 mainly just replaced everything, so jailbreakers just had to rejailbreak again with the appropriate version number.
  4. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can most definitely (force) restore the iPod back to it's original state. No traces are left, in case you send it in for support (which shouldn't be need since you can restore it anyway...).

You do not NEED to update if a new one does come out. Upon opening iTunes it will prompt you, just click 'no', or (don't know) you can set it to never ask or never update.

Of course you will not update while it is jailbroken as we do not know if Apple will release another "..this update will brick your iPoT/iPhone" tactic again. IF, indeed, you need to update: just restore before doing so.

Your welcome

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. twerk

twerk New Member

once it is "bricked" can it be restored or is it done

as i understand from your post it can be bricked when u install the update -- emanjl

however another person if u update with jailbreak then it will just act as the regular ipod again with the new update
  6. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Of course we do not know, now, do we? It's better to be safe (IF you choose to update) and restore before an update.

When I said it would be "bricked", I was referring to the recent update, where Apple warned jailbroken iPhone users that using the update, they're iPhones would be bricked. And not mentioning iPod Touches in general.

EDIT: Sorry, missed something: Yes, it can STILL be restored when bricked (maybe) with a force restore. Search up the steps on how to do one somewhere on this forum.
  7. twerk

twerk New Member

thank u very much
  8. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My pleasure : ).