iOS 3.1 noob question... don't hit me :) 3GS JB... what to do?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by bmvee, Feb 6, 2010.

1. bmvee

bmvee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hi... I've been on here for a very long time and still have my 1g iPod touch (going strong).

I got a 3gs in November, but I've avoided jailbreaking until now... I use the phone exhaustively and because of local carrier issues, find myself power cycling the phone during the day (occurrences vary) so a tethered jailbreak hasn't been that attractive.... that said, I just saw pro switcher and want to use it... as well as I'd like to customize my phone.

Since 3.1.3 has been released... I don't want to screw myself by not doing this now... especially since I don't yet know what my ECID/SHSH signatures are.

Ok... all that said... I know this will likely get me some 'search' comments as well as personal taste opinions on which JB software to use, but i'm looking for a painless and simple JB.

I just got back into this and it looks like there are quite a few options... I just don't want to make a mistake so your help and guidance will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  2. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Use Blackra1n. its super easy-- just one click. There's no advantage to using something else for 3gs either. just dont upgrade to 3.1.3 and watch out with letting the battery go dead. tethered is a pain sometimes, but it beats nothing at all.
    Have fun jailbreaking

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. bmvee

bmvee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thanks... that's what I thought... I was going to use redsn0w, but I think blackra1n is a better alternative. I just used redsn0w on my 1g touch.... oops... I had firmware 2.2.1 on it and let redsn0w put 3.1.2...ooops it keeps flipping into restore mode no matter what I do... so I'm restoring it back to 2.2.1. I'll take any suggestions here as it would be nice to have it on 3.1.2.

I'm not going to take any chances with my iPhone though... blackra1n all the way now!