iOS 3.1 Noob needs help to jailbreak iOS 3.1

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Inigma, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Inigma

Inigma New Member

Hy everyone. I just got a really cheap 2g ipod touch from my friend that he doesn't use anymore. He had it jailbroken on 2.something, but I wanted it updated to 3.1.3. So I did this through itunes and set up my new ipod and all, but now I want to jailbreak it as my friend says its really worth any risk. The only problem is I cant find any jailbreaking program that is tethered and will work with 3.1.x. I dont want spirit cause I still want to be able to acess the ipod files, but when I tried it with redsn0w it couldn't recognise any firmware from 3.1.x. My friend says I need "cooked" firmware but I dont even know that that means and aparently you need mac to do it and I use windows.

So my question to you is...

What program can I use to jailbreak a normal itunes brought 3.1.x firmware which will tether it

Thanks so much for any help
  2. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    with spirit you can access your files, why would you want a tethered jailbreak??

use Spirit
  3. Inigma

Inigma New Member

no..this is the problem. I opened my ipod using the same program my friend uses. When he opens it he gets all these folders like:
    user
    system
    ....stuff like that.

When I tried jailbreaking with spirit I got half the folders and with names like downloads, photos and podcasts, and half of them are empty. He (my friend) showed me how to install themes....Im still using the spirit jailbroken firmware at the moment, and have winter board, but none of the folders he said I should look in show up.
  4. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Then don't use the program your friend is using. Restore to the latest firmware (3.1.3), download and run Spirit from www.spiritjb.com . Then in Cydia install OpenSSH, find out its Wifi address IP (normally 192.168.x.x) then download a SSH/FTP client. There are many tutorials out there on how to connect to your iPhone via SSH.
  5. Inigma

Inigma New Member

I suppose...... Does anyone know a openSSH type program that uses a USB link?
  6. reddevilmaestro

reddevilmaestro Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    dude, if you are using a USB program to view files, install afc2add from Cydia.

I use iFunBox and needed afc2add to view private files.

Go ahead and install afc2add from Cydia and see if the folders that dont show appear now.

Spirit and Blackra1n will not show folders in USB software WITHOUT afc2add, so both are the same. Spirit is better IMO, because its untethered.

Tethered doesn't means you will be able to view files in USB, it simply means you need to run the jb after rebooting. With Spirit untethered, you do not need to run the jb program again after rebooting your ipod.
  7. Inigma

Inigma New Member

Thank you so much for the help guys, just 1 last thing.

When you say reboot, you don't mean restore do you? I could still restore my iPod and have a unjailbroken iPod yes yes?
  8. quinneypoo

quinneypoo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    DUDE YOU WILL BREAK YOUR IPOD DONT DO IT! No seriously I jailbroke my iPod with blackra1n and now its permanently and some iTunes screen.
  9. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    ^^That's because it's tethered. Run blackra1n to boot it^^

Once you restore your jailbreak and all data is gone. Reboot as in turn on and then off.
  10. quinneypoo

quinneypoo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No my dad said not to run it again because he said hes going to return it to best buy.