-noob alert- 2.0 Jailbreak questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Fusion, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Fusion

Fusion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi guys, Im a new iPod Touch owner and I have the 2.0 firmware and I was thinking of jailbreaking it. I just have some questions...

1) What is the difference between Cydia and Installer 4? Any particular reason to go with one over the other? Do these two change the way the iPod Touch looks in any way?

2) Is there a tutorial anywhere on these forums that shows how to jailbreak it using these programs?

3) When I do jailbreak it, where am I to get third party apps to download to my iPod Touch? (ex: guitar hero, psx/nes emulators, etc.) - any tutorials for this as well?

4) If I install Cydia/installer 4, are all the thirdparty apps/games already on these programs or do I have to get them from a difference source. Is there one of these sources on these forums?

Thats all

Please Register or Log in to view images

Like I said, im a new owner/noob at this stuff, sorry!

Thanks a lot!
  2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Answer to Q1: the difference between Cydia and Installer(all versions) is that Cydia uses APT you can controll Cydia with a terminal.

Answer to Q2: sorry, but i can't answer this question as i don't have fw 2.0 and don't search for that stuff. BUT the forum has got a search funktion. And if you don't find anything with taht there's always gOogLe.

Answer to Q3:Those programms shuld be on the original sources in a category

Answer to Q4:Cydia and Installer already have some sources installed after your first start of Cydia/Installer. You CAN ad more sources.
  3. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

4. Fusion

Fusion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

So Cydia is better overall? I know Installer 4.0 isnt out yet but which do you think is better?

Ohhh okay, thats great

How would you add more sources though? Is it done over wi-fi?

Say I wanted to add Guitar hero on my iPod Touch.. then would I find that in one of Cydia's sources?

Also, what does "SSH" mean? lol
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Wait.. you have to DOWNGRADE to jailbreak it? I already have 2.0 though.. :/
  5. CurlyCarlos

CurlyCarlos New Member

It's worth it, this tutorial is the best one.
  6. soccerpro100cn

soccerpro100cn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ignore them, as you don't have to downgrade. just download winpwn from winpwn.com
    then use winpwn to create a custom 2.0 firmware (which is jailbroken). after that, you'll have to put your ipod in DFU mode while plugged into computer. search this site for DFU tutorials. once in DFU mode, hold down shift and click restore in itunes. find your custom firmware in the little window that pops up and then restore away.
  7. Fusion

Fusion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    And this will install Cydia, right?

Is it worth it to wait for Installer4.0 (coming soon) instead of going with Cydia?

Also just another random question that hasnt been answered: Say I wanted to add Guitar hero/PSX or NES Roms on my iPod Touch.. then would I find that in one of Cydia's sources and download it straight from that (needs wi-fi, right?) ?
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

No, you will be able to install Installer through Cydia when it's released; there is no reason to wait.

The only available emulator as of now is NES, and you can SSH into your iPod and add ROMs to the directory /private/var/mobile/Media/ROMs/NES. PSX is not being ported, and "Guitar Hero" (TTR) is available for download through the App Store, and you can not add songs to it at this time.
  9. Fusion

Fusion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What is SSH?

Also, if you install Installer through Cydia, then you will have both Cydia and Installer, right? Whats the point of that?
  10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned