Non-JB 32GB Touch - how to jailbreak???

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by RonS, Feb 29, 2008.

1. RonS

RonS New Member

Although this web site is called "ipod touch fans" most of the threads seem to be about the iPhone.

I have a 32GB iPod Touch. 1.1.4, never before jailbroken. I don't really understand hard vs soft jailbreak... I just want to run other apps. Obviously Ziphone is not an option for me since it only works with 8GB touches.

Every thread I've seen on this and other forums say that I need to start with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 jailbroken befefore I can proceed, but I cannot find a clear way to do that.

Please don't flame me because I've searched for many hours for a clear, reliable way to JB my 1.1.4 touch. Can anyone point me the right direction?
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
  3. sleinad

sleinad New Member

some people say that there are some problems jailbreaking the 16/32 gb ipods, like they would have different hardware.

but still you can try to use ziphone

www.ziphone.org

for ziphone you dont need to have jailbroken 1.1.2 or any other version....
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Don't use ZiPhone! Please! You can jailbreak your iPod and get educated on how this stuff works trying 1.1.1-1.1.2. 1.1.4 isn't ready yet so don't bother, not to mention you have the wrong model for current ZiPhone!
  5. RonS

RonS New Member

jpga13 - I'm wading through the videos you linked, but so far not a single one is telling me what I need to know to jailbreak 1.1.4.

Ziphone is simply NOT an option for 16/32GB touch owners.

Can anyone else point me to a reliable and clear way to jailbreak 1.1.4?
  6. ijailbreak91

ijailbreak91 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    This???
    I´ve tryed it....perfect!
  7. ipodtouchesrule

ipodtouchesrule Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    how to downgrade from 1.1.4 read my signature for more details. then do devcon's soft upgrade.
  8. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

I recommend you ignore the guy above me's instruction to use the "DevCon" soft upgrade. It is unstable and won't be of the quality you expect; it has been developed by script kiddies rather than proper developers.

Ok. To downgrade to 1.1.1, you need to download the 1.1.1 firmware from Apple:
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...70927.p23dD/iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw

And the 1.1.2 firmware from here:
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...071107.9g3DF/iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

Once you've done that, download the latest version of ZiPhone from here:
    http://www.downloadziphone.org/

Now, once the program has extracted, it will automatically run. Don't bother with trying to jailbreak (it won't work). Instead, open the advanced features tab, and click the "DFU Mode" (Device Firmware Upgrade) button.

Now, once iTunes has been opened, it will recognise your iPod in recovery mode. Shift-click the Restore button, and choose the 1.1.1 firmware.

Once the restore is complete, eject your iPod from iTunes and disconnect it from your computer, connect to your WiFi, then go to jailbreakme.com and choose Install AppSnapp from the bottom of the page.

Once that has finished, you will have an Installer application. Open it, click the Install tab at the bottom, and install OktoPrep from the Tweaks (1.1.1) category. Press the home button and let your ipod restart.

Now, reconnect your iPod to your computer. In iTunes, shift-click the Update button, and choose the 1.1.2 firmware.

When that's finished, download the 1.1.2 jailbreak from here:
    http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/1.1.2-jailbreak.zip

Now, exit iTunes, extract the zip file you just downloaded, and run the windows.bat file. Tick the SSH box and press the Jailbreak! button.

Once that's finished, you will have a jailbroken 1.1.2 iPod. Now, you can leave it at that, or soft-upgrade to pseudo-1.1.3 using the Official Dev Team Upgrader in the System Category of Installer. This is more or less stable, and works well.

Of course, you could also save yourself a hell of a lot of work and wait for Zibri to release a version of ZiPhone that is compatible with your iPod. From ziphone.org:
  9. RonS

RonS New Member

Zibri's a great guy, but I've given up waiting for him. First he said he'd have the touch in 3 days, then his "I can almost TOUCH it" post, then him actually stating in his last release that it works for the iPod Touch. It doesn't work (unless you have an 8GB), and enough is enough.

Whosthatrandom - thank you for your writeup. I've also found this blog post that has a lot of detail that I need:

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/jailbreak-113-official-gui-2/

I'm on Step D right now, and it seems to be working so far.