Non-jailbroken 2.1 is fine!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by jshames, Sep 15, 2008.

1. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I'll be honest will all you folks out there. I've had both JB and unjailbroken installations on my Ipod touch (although not on my 2.1 yet).

For the earlier firmware versions, which were very feature poor, the risk/benefit ratio of jailbreaking was very much in favor of it.

But now, with 2.1, including all of the improvements in the built in programs, and app store (including many useful free programs), practically speaking as a day to day user of the ipod as an mp3 player and PDA, I don't really see much advantage in JB any more. Sure, you can save $20 on stolen apps, or if you're a programmer, you can tinker, but otherwise, it seems to me that the whole JB thing has become in end in itself and is losing its practical purpose.

My un-JB 2.1 works perfectly and with the free apps and a few purchased ones (for a grand total of a whopping 5 bucks), what else could I ask for? Sure, it was "neat" to SSH into my unit before, but really, folks, what the hell for? You spend endless hours of restoring and tinkering and crashing the unit, so you can save 20 bucks on apps??

Someone, give me a good reason!
  2. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Blasphemy

nah dude thats how i was with 2.0.2 at first but then i wanted themes so yeah its a matter of opinion
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I am completely with you on the Not needing to Jailbreak right there. Most people here still Jailbreak because they either:

• Need some Apps that only Jailbreaking offer
    • Like to customize the Interface of their device
    • Use illegally obtained Cracked apps. (High Probability of that one)
  4. juliust71

juliust71 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i have to agree with you, I'm on 2.1 non jailbroken and I have nothing to complain of, I had jailbroken and it got slow as hell so I won't jailbreak no more
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Incidentally, how're you finding 2.1 after a week or so of using it? So far I've heard nothing but glowing praise from BigBoss and everyone else who's used it in non-JB format, or anyone who JB'd it the DevTeam way. You know, the 'faster, stabler, everything 2.0 should've been' comments.

But yeah, JB is mostly for those who want theming and things that are prohibited by App Store rules (emulators, anything that changes the interface or the way Safari or other programs behave). Otherwise... well, let's not talk about those other folk.
  6. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I think you pretty much summarized it. Its like the elephant in the living room that nobody notices.

I did think of something that could be significant with JB-- languages. I live in a Hebrew speaking country (guess where??) and JB is the only way to get Hebrew into the unit. (I don't know why Apple has been so slow about this, when they already have languages from other small countries like Finland and Estonia.)
    On the other hand, anybody who uses these devices or who could jailbreak must know English, plus the fact that the Hebrew made the unit more sluggish.

Customizing the themes, etc, was fun, but I ended up removing that, too, because of performance issues.

I imagine that very soon some of the JB apps will be "legalized" through the app store.
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm actually loving it quite a lot. Especially the thing where you can see the song's Artist and Album under each song. I have quite a bit of songs that have the same name and that helps. Along with the amazing Stability and actually Prolonged battery life, Thats right, prolonged battery life, it's really quite amazing.
  8. iTouchHacker!

iTouchHacker! New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I agree with you completely. I used to jailbreak. The 2.1 Software Upgrade inspired me not to jailbreak anymore. I restore my 2.0.2 jailbroken ipod when it first came out and went un-jailbroken for 5 days. Then, I decided not to jailbreak when the jailbreak for 2.1 came out. It's not worth it anymore. On the AppStore there is tons of free apps (some cool), and I hate fighting updates and backups don't work well on jailbroken.

The Dev Team should consider giving up and get real lives at this point.
  9. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

I'm restoring mine as I type and going back to a non J/B'n 2.1 fresh install and will be satisfied to use it like it is and stop wasting hours and hours "mucking around" with it, not that I haven't enjoyed those times though of course..............I'm just over it.
  10. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I'm not really coming out against the programming endeavors of the jailbreaking community, because that is what hackers and programmers do. But I found myself getting sucked in to wasting lots of time, and watched others wasting lots of time, including following the desperate posts of others who crashed their units then screamed for help...