Nokia E71 PC Suite Makes Me LOL!

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Dónde?, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Here's the story. My dad had an upgrade waiting for him at the Orange shop for months, so I told him to give it a go, and just upgrade. So I tried to persuade him to get and iPhone, but he decided to not take my advice and get an E71. Still a decent phone now.

So he gets it. He knows nothing about phones apart from how to text and call people. So I offer to set everything up, and get all the music that was on his iPod, on to his new Phone.

BIG PROBLEM! The PC Suite that Nokia provides is less than useless, honestly, it took me 2 and a half hours just to get this thing running properly. The maps don't download, nothing works at all.

After pondering whether going round to Nokia and slapping the software devs with a wet trout or just staying at home, I finally got the music on, after deciding to use an MP3 converter to convert his iTunes music to MP3. Then I put it into the USB mode.

Now, another problem arises here, when trying to access the internet, it keeps coming up with an error that there is not enough memory (there is 0.6GB left on the memory card) so I assume that this was the RAM. Well now wait a second, why can't the phone just free some up instead of giving me this error.

For demonstrative purposes, I decided to re-download all the music, and put it on to my iPhone, it took less than 40 minutes, whereas the E71 took a good 5 hours.

IMO, nobody should buy this phone, the keypad is pretty small, and setting up Email accounts isn't blindingly obvious. But the choice of ringtones is pretty good, and I like the "Heartbeat" around the big button in the middle.

So yeah, just a warning, get an iPhone 3GS.
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, the Nokia E71 is a pretty old phone now. Even then, I never liked it (my dad had one too)

Please Register or Log in to view images

But if I were to get a new phone, I wouldn't get an iPhone 3GS either, the UI is old and boring (especially if you don't jailbreak) and I have an iPod Touch too lol. My next phone will be an Android for sure

3. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I like the iPhoneOS, for the games. Android seems a bit knock-off to me.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

True, the iPhone OS is good, but it seems kind of pointless for me to have an iPod Touch and iPhone both running iPhone OS. I'd rather have 1 device running iPhone OS and another device running something else, and since I've never use Android, I wanna give it a go

5. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Why would somebody choose another phone over the iphone?! Unless they don't like touch screens or need a better camera i don't see the point at all.
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Because the iPhone isn't the best phone in the world?
  7. helehole

helehole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well, whats better than an iphone? (no offence)
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, this is obviously just based on opinion, there is no best phone. But seeing as this is an iPod Touch/iPhone site, you will find most people saying that the iPhone is the best. But a good line up (in my opinion) is:

Motorola DROID/Milestone
    Google Nexus One
    HTC Bravo (which is actually the phone I'm planning to get)
    Palm Pixi (I haven't looked too much into this phone, but whatever, just putting it out there)

I know most people will then be like "Well, what about the AppStore?" and I agree, the AppStore is amazing, but I already have an iPod Touch for that. So I don't need an iPhone and an iPod Touch.
  9. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well I am just speaking from experience, most phones I have had always have had stupid problems and are always rushed and rely on updates especially Sony Ericsson's.

I haven't used any of the phones above so I can't comment.
  10. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Same here, iPhone is convenience too. No messing around for years trying to do the simplest things.