Noise cancelling app

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by afawcett, Feb 25, 2009.

1. afawcett

afawcett New Member

Most of the time I study with my iPod, but sometimes I just need peace and quite. I turn my iPod off, but then there are so many other distracting noises. I would love to see a noise cancelling application that uses the mic on the apple headset earbids to pick up noise and produces the counter sound in the earbuds. I searched around for this, but wasn't able to find anything. Have any of you heard of this, or want an idea for a new application?
  2. Duykur

Duykur Banned

it is impossible to have noise cancelation through an app and normal speakers. The noise cancelation comes from the insulation on the headphones, not sound.
  3. WhiteNova

WhiteNova New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    no its not, you need to pick up ambient noises with the microphone like he said and add in noise on the opposite side of the spectrum, which cancels it out. i like his idea.
  4. gumbi

gumbi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    this won't work with a mic location which is not extremely close to your ear. noise cancelling technology hinges on the ability for the mic to hear almost precisely what your ear is hearing, and uses constructive interference to cancel the incoming soundwave. more over, the position of the mic in relation to your ear will be variable in this setup. if you tried something like this, you would be more apt to creating more noise, instead of canceling it, since you can't properly destructively interfere the incomgin waves.
  5. WhiteNova

WhiteNova New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    too bad. i would have used something like this.
  6. afawcett

afawcett New Member

aww, that's a shame. i was hoping that the main factor would be the distance to the ear. since sound travels at 340 m/s, that distance would be negligible. thanks for help!
  7. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, i've wondered too about this - and it is a great idea, but I don't think it would work because of the mic placement.

Another method would be the other way around. This would be helpful for In-Ear headsets. For example, Shure sells a box that plugs into your in ear headphones and when you push a button, a microphone picks up the sound around you and plays it in your in ear headphones. That way, you don't need to take them out and put them back in again. The example they use is if you are on an airplane listening to music. The flight attend comes and asks you something and all you have to do is push a button and the voice is slightly amplified to your ears so you can hear around you. Then when your done, you just shut it off and the music plays again all without having to remove your headset.

That idea, however could work even with the misplacement of the mic on the apple headset. It would just we conversum to activate it and acutely use it if you could get it work.