[NoFanBoysPlease] Is a Xbox360 worth it?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by jimbeam, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have a PS3 and Wii already, but I've seen a few Xbox 360 exclusives that I want to play. I know I can get most of them for PC, but honestly I'm not a big PC gaming person. Hooking up the MacBook to the TV and setting up the controller every time I want to play a game? Not a lot of work, but enough to make me just turn on the PS3 or Wii instead. Plus I'm sure the games would look way better on the Xbox vs my MacBook.

Plus project Natal looks pretty cool. So is it really worth it seeing as I already have a PS3, Wii and a MacBook that could probably play the games I really want to play?
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd certainly recommend it. It's a fantastic console, and I'm sure you'll love it.

The list of exclusives is very good, and an all round solid machine.
  3. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1) Get a custom pc for gaming, macs suck at that
    2) you dont need to set up a controller, all you use is keyboard and mouse, but i get it if you dont like PC gaming, although you cant tell if you don't try it first

Please Register or Log in to view images

3) Sony is working on their motion controllers as well, which will be direct competence to the xbot natal

IF you REALLY REALLY want those xbot exclusives and dont like pc gaming AT ALL, then go for it is your money

just keep in mind that most if not all xbox exclusives are available for PC, and PC always gets the best Graphics

EDIT: Besides most of xbox exclusives are First person shooters anyways, which play better with keyboard and mouse, in my opinion keyboard and mouse is the best control for fps games
  4. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I actually prefer a controller for gaming as opposed to the keyboard and mouse. Plus MacBooks don't have mouse's included.

It's definitely not worth building a custom pc rather than buy an xbox, but what you could do is partition your MacBook with Windows 7 (to run the PC games) or whatever, connect it to your tv and sync an xbox 360 controller to your MacBook. I would assume there wouldn't be too big of a graphical difference.

I'd say it's worth having an xbox if you're willing to put out the money for it.
  5. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Dunuck you obviously don't own an xbox 360 and since you said "xbot" it makes you look like a Sony fanboy, personally I'm waiting for Crackdown 2

The first one was awesome, also try Mass effect 2 if you buy one.
  6. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I can't agree more. That's why I bought myself a wired 360 controller, so I can game on my mac as well as on my xbox.
  7. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Definitely.. I find the online community on 360 more active than the PS3 side of it, and the exclusives are amazing too - If you get one this year you'll be looking at Alan Wake, Halo Reach and Fable 3, three amazing games. PLUS Natal... And I prefer the 360 controller to any other controller...

8. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'd say go for it! It's epic but if you want to play, you gotta pay $$, but I still love it
  9. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Honestly if I were to buy a 360 it'd be for campaigns, I highly doubt I'd get Live. Most, if not all, the games I'd play online are multiconsole and it's not worth paying when I could play it for free on psn.
  10. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I meant that mouse/keyboard combo is better for FPS in my opinion

my point was that most of xbox exclusives are fps, and you will find most of those exclusives On the pc

but yeah your macbook gpu/cpu combo is rather weak for gaming, go for it if you really want xbox exclusives