[NoFanBoysPlease] Is a PS3 worth it?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Abcmsaj, Feb 24, 2010.

?

Basically, is a PS3 worth it?

1. Yes.

79.3%
  2. No.

20.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I'm sort of... the gadget king in my area. I have pens which can remember what you've written, iPhones, iPods, Macbooks, HD TVs, the latest games, surround sounds, the latest Apple stuff, and every games console under the sun... Except the PS3.

My main console is my 360, and I'm not looking to replace it - Mainly because the majority of my friends have 360, and I'm not looking to ditch them. The reason I'm considering a PS3 is (not only to add to my gaming collection...) for BluRay and DVD Upscaling (to 1080p) - That's my primary concern. There's a 3D TV firmware update in the works too, which would mean my PS3 wouldn't be "out-of-date" in 6 months time.

However, I'm also interested in the PS3 exclusives (Heavy Rain, MAG, FF, Uncharted, MGS4, etc, etc)

But - £280 is a LOT of money, you can literally buy 2 Xbox 360s with that, and Xbox Live for a year.. and maybe even a game or two. So what else do I get for my money? I've not been following Sony since the days of my chipped PS2 slim... all I know is that they have free online play (which is rubbish, apparently..) and something called Home? (which is a bit like Secondlife)

What else is there? Please don't come here spamming "BLURAY IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD" or "JUST SELL YOUR XBOX FOR A PLAYSTATION" because I've specifically put a tag in the title of this thread.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks

2. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Definitely. I was a full-time 360 user until Fall of last year, and I can say that my experience with the PS3, honestly, has been much more pleasant than I ever had with Xbox. From my experiences, the Online is better, the visuals are better, the community is better, the exclusives are clearly much better and greater in number. I found the PS3 to be a much more versatile console than the 360, with many more user-friendly elements to vindicate its steep pricing.In my opinionthe exclusives alone make the PS3 the superior console.
  3. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I agree, the exclusives are great. I've been working in a game shop for nearly two years, and I've been watching the PS3 exclusives come rolling out, and then hearing good things from PS3 owners. I still think Fable is an amazing RPG for Xbox, but how the hell can you compare Heavy Rain to Alan Wake in any way?

Thanks for the input... is the PS3 online as laggy and unstable as people say it is?
  4. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I also have a PS3.
    I've never had an issue with playing any game online.

EDIT: I forgot to add... Go for it!
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I too was an avid 360 user, until I went through two, and said this is enough.

I love my PS3. I hope I don't come across as a fanboy because of it, but remember I've owned all the consoles (at one point). I can say that the PS3 is my favorite of this generation... by far.

Anyways, the last year/ year and a half have been great times for a PS3 owner. So many exclusives (Uncharted 2 is amazing), so many great shooters (Resistance and Resistance 2 are both amazing shooters that are completely under-rated in my opinion). So many exclusives are awesome, and all of the exclusives are great. So yeah, I think the PS3 is worth it just for the exclusives.

I'm not sure who's telling you the PS3 online is laggy and unstable (although I have had it crash when my internet is crawling; a simple reset fixes that though) but they are lying to you. The PSN (Playstation Network) is extremely stable, and I'm generally happier with the performance of online games on the PS3 than the Xbox 360 (although the online store on the 360 is slightly superior still).

Overall, I'd say go for it; you won't regret it.
  6. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Apparently you heard from 360 fanboys. The online is completely stable.

When I say 'better community' I mean a community of a much more mature audience. The 360 is more popular because it appeals to a younger audience as well. Many 360 users have bias for their system, and influence others to buy it; that's why I think its more popular.
  7. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Ok then... I'll probably consider it some more this week (when I've had more replies on this thread...) and then I'll wait til I'm paid in March - Then I'll buy one

8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sounds good, man.

You won't regret it though, I'm sure. I've never heard of someone who got a PS3, and then didn't like (they might've wished it was less money, but hey! Who said entertainment was cheap?

)
  9. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It's most definitely worth it as long as you plan to use it. The Playstation Home is okay. Nothing amazing at all. Online gaming is great. I've seen no lag yet. BluRay player is still ranked among the top players years after it's release. Media server capabilities are sweet. i watch more movies and shows streamed off my computer to my PS3 than I do on my FiOS tv. It's all preference really. I love mine though.
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Bluray player, Video player, Game player, Music player, Linux box (If you go Fat), super easy, non-proprietary storage, going to be hacked soon I don't see why not?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.