No, you did NOT "Brick" your iPod. How to "UnBrick".

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by gojohnnyboi, Mar 24, 2008.

1. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Ok, so i've had to have seen at least 20 threads so far with people saying: "Ah, i've bricked my iPod! My iPod is ruined! I have to get a new one!"

Well, FYI guys, you didn't. Its EXTREMELY HARD, if not IMPOSSIBLE to "brick" your iPod Touch. I myself recently recovered from an experience of my ipod being in a continuos loop of recovery mode. And i got a way out.

Here are some questions people have asked me and things ive seen here on the forum, along with some decent answers to the problems, either answered by me or other people...

Q: Every time i use ZiPhone, i get the bsd root (major minor watever) error on my iPod Screen and i have to force a restore. What do i do?

A: Ok, its simple. Don't restore. Put your ipod in recovery mode, download the latest version of ZiPhone (Currently 2.6b), and use the advanced features tab to boot it out of recovery mode, and then use 2.6b to Jailbreak the touch, USING THE IPOD BUTTON.

Q: Why do i get Spamming AT, waiting for response endlessly when i use ZiPhone to jailbreak? I have the latest version and i'm doing everything right.

A: Well, first you must use the option in advanced features named Fix NVRAM. This will fix the spamming at problem so you may then successfully jailbreak the ipod.

Q: Somebody told me to use appsnapp (jailbreakme.com) on my ipod to jailbreak 1.1.4, but when i did it, nothing happened. What am i doing wrong?

A: Simple. Appsnapp was designed and made for firmware 1.1.1, not 1.1.4. This will NOT work. Use ZiPhone or iJailbreak instead. Keep in mind though that iJailbreak is only for mac.

Q: I used ZiPhone but i got an error. I realized my mistake, but when i closed out of ZiPhone and rebooted my iPod, The white text still went on my screen and i get the error all over again. How do i get it to just boot back up so i can use ZiPhone again? Do i have to restore?

A: No, you do not need to restore. Simply, while the ipod is connected to the computer, hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button to turn the ipod completely off. Then, turn the power back on, still holding the home button but releasing the sleep/wake button. This, if done correctly, will put the ipod in recovery mode. you can then use ZiPhone 2.6b to boot it out into normal mode, where you can then fix your error and try again.

Q: When i restore, my ipod continuously goes into recovery mode! its bricked! What do i do?!?!

A: well, this probably came from you messing with the nvram or the way that the ipod boots, and you need to fix this. This does not always require a restore, so do the following. Use ZiPhone 2.6b and click jailbreak. Dont ask why. Just do it. Once that process has completed, press fix nvram. When thats done it will then boot up in the correct disk, which was probably the problem in the first place. If it still boots up in recovery mode, you must restore in iTunes. It's as simple as that.

Q: Why will only some things in installer work for me?

A: Well, theres not much to do about that. Some applications were only developed for certain firmwares, and since the 1.1.3/1.1.4 root to mobile change, some applications just simple require a fix. Look around in installer for fixes to them, and also make sure that the permissions of your appliations are set correctly, usually to 755.

Q: My iPod wont downgrade! Im stuck on 1.1.3 or 1.1.4! Ive bricked it and now i can never restore again! What do i do?!

A: To restore to a lower firmware, you must put your ipod in DFU Mode. To do this ide again recommend ZiPhone 2.6b, or even autodown. These both automatically put your ipod into dfu mode so you can downgrade which is done by going to your ipod in itunes and clicking shift->restore, then choosing your firmware that you want.

Q: My ipod has a little white circle in the middle and it goes on forever. The springboard wont restart. Do i have to restore to fix this?

A: No, simple power off the ipod by holding both the sleep/wake button and the home button. then turn it back on with the sleep/wake button. DONT HOLD THE HOME BUTTON WHEN POWERING ON! this will put your ipod into reccovery mode and you will be forced to boot it back out with ZiPhone or iPhuc.

Q: Why wont my computer or ZiPhone show that my iPod is connected?

A: Well, obviously something is wrong. The easiest way to fix this is to manually put it into recovery mode. To do this, make sure your ipod is plugged into the computer, hold both the home and power buttons to turn it off, and then turn it back on, holding the home button but releasing the power button. Now that you're in recovery mode your computer should be able to detect the iPod. You can now use ZiPhone or iPhuc to boot it out of recovery mode for normal use.

Any other questions are greatly appreciated and will be added to thhis thread as soon as i can with answers. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Gojohnnyboi
    2 people like this.
  2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    finally. this should stop all the noob threads.

edit: i know it wont. noobs are noobs. they wont read this. lol
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice guide. ^_^

Edit: And you're right about the noobs. xD
    The only reason that they make all their threads is that they didn't search the forums.

Hopefully if this gets popular enough, they will see it first.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. gojohnnyboi

lol very true. but hopefully it "reduces"

and thanks mortel
  5. Yakovlev

Yakovlev Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah thanks, all those stupid," oh I bricked my iPod!", threads were pissing me, and probably a lot of other people off.
  6. gojohnnyboi

Oh i know man! completely insane! thats why i made this thread. i saw one just a few minutes ago and so wow...gotta put and end to this =p
  7. vesperance

vesperance New Member

thanks for the guide i always see OH NO MY IPOD IS BRICKED!!!!
  8. gojohnnyboi

lol yeah. a guy today thought it was bricked because he couldn't ssh....wow...
  9. bobthehacker

bobthehacker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    at last! no more "omg i bricked my ipod threads"
  10. gojohnnyboi

well, at least until this thread dies out lol.