No student discount on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sanga282, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well i wanna get an iPad for uni and they're too expensive to be considered a legitimate purchase, so i asked in the apple shop but they said there wasn't but he recommend i buy a mac (if i didnt a job interview for the shop in a couple of days i would've told him here to stick his recommendation.) Is this like only a UK thing or do other countries have student discounts for it, or is it better to just get my family in canada to ship my an iPad and save myself the money
  2. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    I just did a test with one of my States universities and there is no discount on the iPad, nor the iPods. Only the macs.

Besides, the iPad is not really ment to replace a computer. Its more of a companion device.
  3. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    An iPad would be perfect for Uni if you know what to get. eTextbooks would help you offload any textbook into the machine and give you access to them as long as you have an internet connection, which should be anywhere in Uni, and textbooks are almost half off in digital format on there.

Next there are all of the annotation tools, highlighter, BlackBoard app and other such tools. My uni in the US has implemented iPad support, so now instead of lugging around a bag full of big books, I just lug a thin iPad around.

As most uni students who own an iPad would say... it's not going to replace a computer, but it will do things that you can't on a computer, and it will do other things for a fraction of the price.
  4. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah i know it won't replace a computer, but seeing as how my rig will be at my dorm and i'll be using the computer labs for work i don't need a laptop, i wont be needing it to work on just take notes, i do not need another machine for games programming, i just want a light device to move around and I refuse to buy a mac on the principles of i have a soul and would like to keep it, and an iPad has a big screen meaning i can take notes easy and typing on them is fairly easy, although with no student discount they are hardly viable, i might just buy an Archos 9 for note taking, same price and offers extras, obviously extras i do not need but extras none the less
  5. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ^ lol I like the part about i dont want to buy a mac because i have a soul

totaly agree, i will but the i devices but not the macs

im a pc through and through (-the phones and tablets so far though)
  6. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    bought a mac and still have a soul. they make good laptops. my homebuilt desktop is still a pc. not a big deal.
  7. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    they make good laptops, but they charge twice their value so by that standard they make sh*t laptops. My homebuilt is miles better value than the mac pro so really i can't see why any mac laptop or desktop is worth buying, if i had money to burn then yes but as i don't i shall avoid spunking it up the wall with an overpriced piece of technology
  8. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Actually, the value of the Macbook Pro lies in the durability (aluminum body), reliability (no virus, no random errors), usability (large multitouch touchpad, chiclet keyboard with backlight, long battery life), and form (thin form factor).

In fact, if you don't have a PC, I'd recommend getting a Macbook Pro first. The whole point is not to have the strongest possible hardwares in that thing. The whole point is to have decent hardwares but more reliable. You're just gonna pick it up and work, that's it. In Windows, if you want to peacefully work, you have to get bloatware out, install anti-virus, firewall, stuffs... Then tweak the living hell out of it to make it run fast. That's the difference.

Just like with the iPad. The whole point of it is... it just works. It doesn't have the best hardware in the world, nor does it have the best OS in the world, nor does it have full Flash support (yet, Frash is on its way). But for what it does, it does well and without giving you a ton of headache.
  9. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    your technological knowledge is insufficient please stop talking.
    Mac's do get viruses, none of my windows machines spanning XP, Vista and 7 have never received viruses and never get 'random errors.' The macbook pro is no more usable than my old dell laptop, touchpads are annoying and a notebook mouse is infinitely a better option, also why does a keyboard need a backlight unless you are a moron and cannot type? And yes seeing as how i'll be processing code, crunching numbers, rendering animations the hardware is vital, hence why I have my own beffed up rig and the lab computers the iPad would be just for notes why would i buy a macbook pro just for notes?
  10. phlegethon

phlegethon New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I bought an iPad for my degree so that I don't have to lug my laptop all the way to the library (plus heavy books)...just a thought.

You probably already know but bear in mind you NEED a computer to sync your iPad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.